Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownmola

limiting outward growth of Oldhamii?

brownmola
13 years ago

Hello, I have oldhamii planted on top of my retaining wall. It has about 7 feet of space laterally but only about 2 feet of space to the edge of the retaining wall and about 2 feet of space to the neighbor's fence. Can I control the outward growth of this bamboo so it doesn't break apart the wall or the fence? Does it just involve breaking off new culms that head in that direction? Or do I need to take those newly planted bamboos out of the ground and replant elsewhere?

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:409565}}

Comments (7)

• alan_l
    13 years ago

I can't grow it, but from what I've read and seen, it gets pretty large, probably much larger than the space you've given it. I'll wait for somebody with actual experience with growing it to confirm, but it seems like it's not the right spot for it.

• patdagardenguy
    13 years ago

There is a mature one close to where I live. It's probably easily 10' by 10', and actually that is probably very conservative. I have one in the ground in its second year. It started as a 5 gallon, very small, pencil sized culms. The first year it jumped to 1 inch plus culms and the culms seem to be coming up 6 inches away from the outside already. If you only have 4 feet, you gotta move it.

• stonecrabber
    13 years ago

I have seen clumps of B. oldhamii kept 'close' to 4' wide.
    You will definitely have to remove some culms to keep it
    that wide. You'll also probably have to remove rhizome/s
    to kinda 'steer' the way you want it to grow. It'll be
    some work but it can done.

• brownmola
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Stonecrabber!

• brownmola
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi guys, I had a couple more questions.

1. Would the trench filled with sand idea work between the bamboo and the fence? I would dig out the sand twice a year in the fall and cut off any roots/rhizomes?

2. I've heard mixed things on rhizome barriers for clumpers. Some say it works, others say it does nothing with clumpers because of how strong they are.

3. My last question, if I do need to move the bamboo in 1-2 years, are they relatively easy to transplant? The bamboo are currently about 6-7 feet tall right now.

I guess another option is to buy large containers and re-pot them for a year or two and then replant when we thicken our retaining wall from 4 feet to 6-8 feet in the next year or two.

What do you guys think?

p.s. I have 2 new shoots and thankfully, they are emerging on the side I want : )

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate your time with helping me.

• Scott Wallace
    13 years ago

You could always get a sawzall with an 8 inch blade and root prune around the clump a couple times per year. Takes about 10 minutes per clump on the bamboo in my yard

Here is a link that might be useful: My Bamboo Pics

• brownmola
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks webgator, all of these responses give me some confidence to leave the bamboo where it is if I am diligent about cutting off the new shoots near the fence.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living