Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takumaku

For those growing clumpers, what is your heat zone...

takumaku
16 years ago

We all know about the USDA cold hardiness zones (zone 8 for me), but the AHS has released a heat hardiness zone mapping. For thos of ya'll growing clumpers, please state the particular bamboo you are growing and your corresponding heat zone. You can include the cold zone, but please sure to specify which is which.

I'm going to use this information and compile a list of bamboo and their hardiness (both hot and cold).

For example Chusquea gigantea can easily survive during the winters for zone 7+ because of its cold hardiness. But any place located where the heat zone is 7+, the Chusquea gigantea dies during the summer.

http://www.ahs.org/publications/heat_zone_map.htm

Taku

Comments (15)

• tcstoehr
    16 years ago

Zone 8 (Canby, OR 97013, south of Portland, north of Salem)
    Fargesia Nitida
    Fargesia Robusta

• takumaku
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tcstoehr,
    Canby OR 97013 is cold hardiness zone: 8, but heat zone: 4 5. I need the latter information.

• huachuma
    16 years ago

takumaku,

My heat zone is "8" (Folsom CA); Cold hardiness is "9a".

I've been growing the following species successfully for approx. four years.

Bambusa oldhamii
    Bambusa ventricosa (Buddha's Belly Bamboo)
    Bambusa multiplex 'Alphonse Karr'

I've never had any apparent issues with heat and only leaf die-off with cold (this year it dropped down into the mid 20's F at night for nearly a week).

Mike

• brie39
    16 years ago

I've grown B. oldhamii since 1988 in Santa Cruz, CA with no heat problem whatsoever. Of course we have fairly mild weather. My stand came from one that my cousin got from the 1939 World's Fair. He grew it in Hollywood, CA and gave a portion of it to my parnets in Concord, CA where it grew from the 1960s. Concord can have really high temperatures in summer - in excess of 100. It showed no heat problem in their garden.

• sundazing
    16 years ago

Heat Zone 6 7; Hardiness Zone 6b. Fargesia Murialae. Partial Shade in moist, organically amended soil. Heat not a real problem. Mine never did this, but if it is overheated, FM will start curling its leaves to save resources and to let you know to act quickly. This winter, however, we bordered on the hardiness with an abnormally cold and windy period. My FM was protected with mulch and foliage covered to protect against cold, dry wind which could be a killer. With this precaution, it was fine and healthy.

• tropicallvr
    16 years ago

Heat zone between 9 and 6(probally a 8, and many days above 100F). Chusquea gigantea is in it's second year putting up larger than expected culms(neighbors plant in sun looks like a dwarf, but pretty looking.) Have 2 varities of C.culeo, and C. cumnigi that seem to be shooting early which is a good sign, since my neighbors other C.culeo aborts mid summer shoots.
    Another closer neighbor has huge clump of H.darampa falconeri that does amazingly well in heat.

• mike_marietta_sc_z8a
    16 years ago

Marietta, SC (Heat zone 4, cold zone 8a) Bambusa emiensis, B. multiplex, B. textilis, Borinda boliana, B. fungosa, Chusquea culeou, C. gigantea, Fargesia dracocephala rufa, F. nitida, F. robusta, F. utilis, Yushania anceps, Y. maculata

• tropicolorado_z5a
    16 years ago

North portion of Colorado Springs at 6400 ft elev. Heat zone per AHS query is 4 5. USDA Hardiness is 5a.
    I am having excellent success w/ Fargesia murielae. Planted two more last weekend. Never gets over about 97-98F ever here. High 90s for 3-5 weeks total but not usually consecutive.
    PS to Mike (huachuma): Oh, my! Mid 20s lows for almost a week ! I had minus teens for a week two or three times this past winter! Regards, Dave

• huachuma
    16 years ago

Hey tropicolorado,

I did my time! Spent my first 25 years in Minnesota; coldest I ever saw there was -43F (that's not including windchill) ;)

Mike

• sundazing
    16 years ago

Tropi, how long have you had those Fargesia Murielae and how tall are they now? How tall were they at 3 years? I swear I have a dwarf from a mutant seed here in MD.

• tropicolorado_z5a
    16 years ago

Mike- Whoa! Yeah- with 25 yrs in Minnesota you can appreciate my situation :) D

sundazing- last year was my first year experimenting after I discovered coldhardy bamboo/bananas. Have appreciated the good info/ideas from these forums. I was happy the Fargesia murielae survived the winter at all. I got 3 gal size, about 36in tall- just recv'd two more a couple weeks ago (Bamboo HQ- wonderful folks). I didn't see any real height increase last year but got some new culms- assumed they were getting adjusted. With some moderate mulching effort they stayed green near ground all winter (-17F and lots more cold weather/blizzards) and are now leafing out even up at last year's tops. I thought I'd have to cut them back but I waited and they began leafing out in mid-March here. I was after the 15 ft height & typical boo fast growth as well but I think I'll just have to be more patient I guess especially given the climate here. How are yours doing overall-greening up,etc?
    Regards Dave

• sundazing
    16 years ago

Hey, Dave, thanks! I moved my response and the discussion to the "Mutant" thread. Check it out!

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

Otatea acuminata aztecorum
    Bambusa multiplex
    Bambusa textilis

USDA 8b AHS 8

Regards
    Chris

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

That should have been AHS 9

Regards