Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

identity of this bamboo please

kahlanne
15 years ago

Can you identify this bamboo? I went to a client's house and she had the most gorgeous bamboo screening. She said it has been there for 60+ years but there of course are newer areas. She said that it doesn't die unless we have an extreme freeze here which hasn't happened in a very long time. Btw, we are in zone 8b, right outside Baton Rouge, LA. The bamboo is definitely a runner! She just mows it where she wants it contained. She told me that she had success with breaking a new shoot and barely covering it with dirt to make a new start of bamboo. Is this correct? I thought if you cut the rhi?? (dont know how to spell it) then it wouldn't be able to thrive which is how I was intending on containing it. Then how does a broken shoot without roots then make new ones? Call me confused! Here is the pictures. I am sorry but I don't have any of just the bamboo. It makes a great background for pics though.

{{gwi:409852}}

{{gwi:409855}}

here is a link to some more bamboo pics. Not sure if they will help or not but my kids are cute next to them if I do say so myself. LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo pics