Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo by a pool

Posted by alecat (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 13:23

My landscaper has suggested planting Oldhamii bamboo to act as a privacy screen in our back yard. I love this idea but have a couple of concerns: 1. excessive leaves dropping in the pool. How much do leaves actually drop (I am in los angeles) and 2. Root invasion of the pool The area has a lot of concrete so the landscaper says with good trimming yearly this will not be an issue. Does anyone have any advice/experience with this type of bamboo? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo by a pool

Is this an inground concrete pool, or what?

o

Bambusa olhammii is not a running variety of bamboo. It's a clumper. It grows quite tall and should make an excellent screen. The culms get to around four inches in ideal circumstances. Bamboo will drop leaves but not too badly. That shouldn't be too much of an issue.

o

This is an in-ground, concrete pool surrounded by a lot of cement. The bamboo would be located quite close to the water. We don't want to have to be constantly cleaning out leaves... Thank you for the input!

o

I'm also in Los Angeles with an in-gound pool and was giving serious consideration to Oldhamii as well. How did things turn out? My largest concern is leaf droppage as it will be about 15 feet away from the pool in a 4' wide by 30' long raised planter box.

o

The leaf dropping is seasonal. It drops leaves as new ones grow, usually at the beginning of the growing year.

Other than that, there should be no problem other than height. Mine grows to over 40 feet...you may want a shorter variety.

Kt

o

I have a number of bamboos about 10ft away from a large in ground goldfish pond. I do get some leaves in the pond year round, more in winter, and more on breezy days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here