Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmfarmer_gw

bamboo from cuttings

palmfarmer
15 years ago

what would the ideal temperature be for making cuttings from bamboo?

trying two different types, one is wamin, the other is the small varigated kind of wamin, cant remember name tho..kimmiei maybe? I have them in a green house and it stays close to 80F do they need to be warmer?

also humidity keeps at about 50% is this tooo much? tooo little?

Thanks in advance.

Tad

Comments (12)

• tey157
    15 years ago

Tad,

I think that should be enough. You may want to keep them misted though.

Good luck,
    Dean

• palmfarmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the reply, the mist fires off every so often, I can set it for all kinds of different intervals, the green house has a phytotronics timer in it.

is bambusa lako easy to root by cuttings?

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

I think almost all of the Bambusas are quite easy to start from cuttings, at least in comparison to other bamboos.

Time of year and the age of the cutting play a part in successful growth.

I personally don't have a lot of success with cuttings. I would recommend larger culm cuttings and fill the top of the culms with water. Keep moist.

Good Luck

Kt

• daveh_sf
    15 years ago

I'd keep them misted and the humidity as high as possible. I've had some success with cuttings, with temps about 60F min and 75F max, and fairly low light, maybe 1,000 footcandles. This should be a good time to start them. Use 1 or 2 year old culms.

• palmfarmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

humidity keeps at anywhere from 50 to 75 percent,
    propagation house has one layer of 30 percentshade,a layer of poly and a layer of 50 percent aluminet shade cloth 4 foot above the entire house for temp reduction.

• tey157
    15 years ago

Good luck w/ your cuttings maybe we can trade later.

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Hmmmm,...humidity is hardly ever below 80 percent here...maybe I should be trying some cuttings now.

Kt

• palmfarmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tey157, I hope so too, going to try the lako in some perlite beds, if you ever make it to the Rio Grande Valley look me up.

Kentuck, where in zone 8b are you with such high humidity?

• palmfarmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

small update some of the wamin cuttings are producing the craziest air roots I have ever seen, and new foliage is starting to emerge as well, the varigated on the other hand is doing squat.

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

About 90 miles from the gulf, as the crow flies, and west of Houston.

Not quite as far south as you are, but Summers are just as hot but cooler Winters.

Kt

• pharaoness
    15 years ago

just needed some help, about a year and a half ago, I took four bamboo leaf cluster cuttings from my friend's bamboo stalks (not sure what kind of bamboo, but it was just the "lucky" bamboo stalk sold at the store, in toronto canada). These did not have any stem whatsoever, but I just used the regular plant rooting technique, and they've grown roots and still live today in cups in more water than soil mixtures, and they just look like long bamboo leaf clusters, and only having a stem created from the cutting off of dead leaves at its bottom. I was wondering, how do I pot them to promote growth? What do I use to plant them (soil, water, rocks, etc)? Should I expect these to grow stems, and if so, when? Thank you!

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

pharaoness-
    Despite its name, lucky bamboo is a houseplant that is a dracaena and not real bamboo. Check out the Lucky Bamboo Forum for answers...