Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too tightly spaced?

Posted by oldhamii (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 13:34

I'm new to growing bamboo and have been trying to find an answer to the following question, with no luck.

I am about to plant a screen with a variety called Golden Weaver. I've seen them mature, spaced 6 ft (2 m) apart. In this arrangement, they produce an effective privacy barrier, above a height of about 6 ft. However, below that, there are "windows" between each clump.

If they were planted at 3 ft apart, it seems as though the screen would be much more effective. I understand that they would be somewhat stunted due to crowding, but would they be unhealthy?

Should I just put in another row, staggered, and give up the yard space?

If anyone out there has tried this, please let me know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too tightly spaced?

"Slender Weaver" that is.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 4, 10 at 20:28

Are you talking about Bambusa textilis, a clumper? In any case, I don't see a problem with planting them close together...it's not like you're trying to grow carrots and need optimal spacing. The bamboo won't be unhealthy if they are close together. At some point in the future they will expand, and merge, and adjust to one another regardless of the spacing. A double row is fine if you have the space. Otherwise, a single row, tightly spaced, should be just about as good.

o

yes, bambusa textilis, a clumper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here