Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spademilllane

Old Grove Renovation

spademilllane
14 years ago

Several posts over in the Oklahoma gardening forum have started me thinking about what I can do with my bamboo grove. It's rather large--I would say about 2 acres--with several temperate varieties (Moso, black, Henon). The picture below is only a small section and taken from some distance away.

I don't know too much about the bamboo, as it was on the property when I bought it. Neighbors have said the oldest bamboo was planted about 25-30 years ago, but that different parts were planted at different times.

In the bamboo forest there is a small "holding pond" or "filtering pond" that the bamboo has taken over. This small pond has a dry stream that led to a larger pond. Bamboo in this area is rather large, with 6 or 7-inch diameter bamboo. Otherwise, most of the bamboo is smaller--maybe 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

I assume to get this grove (or at least parts of it) up to par I should thin it out, getting rid of the dead stuff and culling the smaller shoots. So, I have a few questions:

ÂÂ If I water and fertilize parts of the old grove, will larger culms come back INSIDE THE PERIMETER OF THE GROVE next spring?

ÂWhat is a good thinning distance?

ÂShould I water all through the hottest months of the summer? (July-August is hottest here but also driest)

Should I water in the fall months (given that I'm shooting for larger culms)?

ÂSpring is the moist time of year here; for the past several years I've been here the average has been about 20 inches of rain between March and end of June--one year there was 40 inches or so. I assume I don't need to give more water at this time of year, yes?

Thanks for input.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio