Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patdagardenguy

Vivax and property line

patdagardenguy
14 years ago

I'm in the foothills outside of Sacramento. I'm looking for an opinion on what is a safe distance to plant Vivax near a property line. I have 3 acres and this area for planting is a field. The closer to the line the better, as it is partly being used as a shield for an unsitely neighbor. The neighbor is also stubborn and will complain to me if the Bamboo is too close as he likes to get involved in other peoples business. Ultimately, I'd like the grove to be about 40 to 50 feet away from the property line. My understanding is that I can expect rhizomes to run 20-30 feet when mature, and at that point I'd mow or kick them over to control them. My concern is that it would then run another 20-30 feet from that point the following year putting it at nearly 60 feet from the desired containment area. Along the fence line, I have cedar deodora but are only seedlings now. I imagine once they are mature, the Vivax would have a difficult time penetrating through the Cedar roots? My ground is lots of decomposed granite, it gets very hard in the summer since there is no rain. When wet though, the soil is nice. I also figured I could control by only watering where I wanted the grove to go. The Cedars are only on drip irrigation, so I am controlling what is watered and what isn't. So, what would a safe distance be? I really appreciate any feedback. This neighbor gives me nightmares and I'd prefer to play it safe until the Cedars are full grown or he moves on. Thanks...

Comments (4)

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

You could install some type of barrier, do some type of bi-yearly rhizome pruning, or plant a clumping variety.

The clumpers will usually get much denser and in a much smaller area, plus you won't have to worry about it spreading into your neighbours property.

The cedar roots will not slow the growth of the bamboo rhizomes.

How tall do you wish the bamboo to grow and what zone are you in?

Kt

• patdagardenguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I definitely want a runner since the area I'd like covered is pretty large. I'd be happy with a 50 x 50 clump and 40ft tall would be great. I already have the Vivax purchased in a 5 gallon pot last year and moved to a 25 gallon just waiting for the proper location. I guess I just want to fully understand the rhizome growth. My questions I believe are, does the rhizome grow another 20 - 30 ft from the place you kick over a shoot. If so, I believe I'll need to rhizome prune, which I have no problem doing. I was also told that the boo would only grow where I watered, so I guess I could control that way, if that is true. Thanks, I'm in zone 9, per the sunset book.

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

I would still recommend a clumper. 50 feet isn't that large of an area for a clumper. As few as 5 plants would cover the area but more plants would become thicker sooner.

Here, when I kick or cut down a new shoot, the rhizome is already passed the spot where the new shoot emerged. As long as the rhizome is attached to the 'mother' plant, or other culms/shoots, it will continue to grow underground. If you kick down the shoot, also sever the underground rhizome. This will help slow the spread of the bamboo.

If you are in a very dry area, then yes, the bamboo will only grow where there is water, but even in our 12 month drought here, and several other lengthy droughts over the past few years, the running boos seem to just go dormant but they do survive. Any time the ground is moist enough for growth, the rhizomes will grow there, but will stop growing as the water goes away, but again, as long as the rhizomes are attached to a part of the plant that gets water, then they will either continue to grow slowly, or go dormant til the next wet spell.

You might look into some of the clumpers just for curiosity if nothing else. Bambusa textilis will grow at least 40 feet tall and grows very dense/thick with culms very close together. A purchase of four plants could each be divided and then you would have eight plants which would give you a very nice barrier and in a much smaller space...just a thought.

Not sure of your soil ph though.

Good Luck

Kt

• elderberrypress
    14 years ago

It's easy to stop rhizomes. Just dig a trench with a backhoe about 18 inches deep and a foot or two wide and then break off any that venture into it. And, yes, not watering will stop its spread---and kill it, too. It will need a lot of water and a lot of mulch and a lot of fish emulsion or manure to grow its fastest, and it will still take ten or twenty years to fill the area you describe. And you can plant it ten feet from the line if you want and no worries as long as you keep the trench clear of soil and rhizomes. And yes, why not look into other varieties too? Spectabalis is golden. Black is good. One problem with vivax is that the culms can be thin and break easily in wind or snow. Enjoy your grove.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH