Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a clumping bamboo

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 14:12

I have a clump of Fargesia robusta that I planted about 2 years ago. I planted it too close to some other plants and it will need to be moved. It's still fairly small but steadily increasing in size and has just sent up a bunch of new culms. The clump is about 18 inches across, with the tallest culms now up to about 4 feet tall. How big a root system do they get, and how easy are they to transplant? Is it best to transplant now, or wait until fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a clumping bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 9, 07 at 23:57

Leave it alone for now. The general rule of thumb is never to transplant during shooting season, and the second rule of thumb is to wait until it's pretty dormant, which would mean late fall to early spring.

o
RE: Moving a clumping bamboo

I moved a Fargesia Robusta about six weeks ago. It wasn't very big and I was able to get the whole clump, but not all of the roots of course. It had shoots an inch or two long and I broke one of them accidentally. The rest of the shoots survived just find except one that aborted late. The clump was heavy enough that I could *barely* lift it into my wheel barrel. Since I lost some of the roots, I cut off some of the culms to hopefully balance it out. If the clump had been too big to move at once, I would have just chopped off as large a piece as possible and moved that. I don't know if it was the optimal time to do it or not but it seems to have taken quite nicely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here