Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotted culm

Posted by janalee215 6b (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 14:15

I have Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' that I planted in 2007 in a very large container with a built-in root trench (a two-tiered system). The growth this year was spectacular -- 17 culms, with many taking interesting deep zigs and zags. This morning, I noticed that one culm had rotted on top, about four feet from the base; it wasn't rotted at the base, but it wasn't "right," either. One other culm has failed to thrive, but it was the last to break ground and I've seen that before.

None of the other culms look bad.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotted culm

I always have some shoots that abort, or may have some damage from being chewed on by slugs when first coming up. However, isolated rotting at the top is a little strange. I don't think it is anything to worry about, though, as far as the overall health of the clump.

It would be helpful if you posted a picture of two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here