Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Bamboo around a pond

Posted by bozilla 7 NW Tx (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 14:35

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, and am getting very interested in bamboo. I have a fishing tank that is about 4 miles in circumference, and has a constant water level with cat tails thriving on it's banks. I'd really like to plant several groves of bamboo on it's banks, but I won't be there very often to moniter the growth or to water the plants very often. The varieties I'm most interested in are golden, black, and mosa. All for different reasons... Shade and building materials from the mosa, cane poles and also eye-pleasing groves from the golden and black. I was going to seperate these. The soil is a red clay.

I guess I was just wondering where I should start here. How far from the bank should I plant? What is the best, low maintenance way for me to get groves established? How many plants will I need of each? I'm really excited about getting these started, and if the groves really take off it could create more of an eastern feel that I'm looking forward to. Any advice, help, is most appreciated.

I don't have a whole lot of money to spend also. I'm getting married in just a couple of weeks, so I can't afford to buy 10 of each plant even though I would love that to get groves established quickly.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Bamboo around a pond

The black(P. nigra) does really well in heavy soils but needs some shade to look it's best and for the culms to turn black. However, shade will come from itself as the grove matures.

Golden(P. aurea) will grow about anywhere. It is very hardy and can take shade or full sun.

Moso(P. edulis) needs shade to get established. It will die in full sun as a young plant. It is slow to mature.

The number of each that you plant depends on how fast you want a large grove. They will need to be kept watered as young plants and may need protection from deer or cattle. Armadillos will also uproot them when young.

They will all live in your area, but getting them started without being there regularly to water may be a slight problem.

I would plant as large of a plant as possible of each as opposed to planting several smaller plants. This way it will be more hardy and establish more quickly and you won't have to worry about animal damage as much or watering as much when first planted.

After the first year, they should be carefree except for extremely dry spells. They can survive in standing water for short periods of time but don't do well for extended lengths of time in water.

Good Luck

Kt

o
RE: Planting Bamboo around a pond

My black bamboo is shooting up right now, and it looks like it's going to make
for a great season. The plant will shade itself (which Kt mentioned), as seen in this
first-year culm from last year (pic taken earlier this week):
Photobucket

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here