Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorothyz6

Cold Hardy Bamboo for screening

dorothyz6
14 years ago

Hello all,

I live 20 miles west of Boston (zone 6). I'd like to use clumping bamboo to create a screen between me and my neighbors. The area receives full sun with some afternoon shade with good draining soil. The area is 70' long by 10' deep with a 4' high stone wall at the back and the driveway at the front. Ideally I'd like something that remains green all year long and gets to about 12-15' tall. I'm an avid perennial gardener, but am new to bamboo so any thoughts or suggestions on a clumping bamboo that might work in this location would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• nomadct
    14 years ago

I became rabidly interested in bamboo a few years ago after a trip to coastal New Jersey. I saw towering 40-foot bamboo that looked like it was in a Southeast Asian jungle (lol). Since then, I have done a bit of research on were it grows along the East Coast/Atlantic States. I live along the Connecticut coast (zone 7) about 1 Âmile from Long Island Sound/7 miles from Long Island. NY. I have several types growing, some of which are now 40 feet tall and 3.5 inches in diameter. I can only tell you what I have observed.

It seems Massachusetts (excluding the Cape and Islands) is about the line where bamboo starts to struggle. In my travelers up and down the East Coast I have seen many stands of towering bamboo that stay green all winter in New Jersey, southern Connecticut, NYC metro, Delaware, MarylandÂect. Yet once into Massachusetts or New York State much above NYCÂ. while bamboo will often survive the winter - it gets tougher for it to stay green all winter. I have even read that in places where bamboo loses its leaves every winter and some clums are killed it never really sizes up. There was a place near Rockport. MA called New England Bamboo that I would often visit in early spring (March or April) a few years back. Although most bamboo stands to the south were all green on the drive up (including my own)Âthe bamboo on the grounds of New England Bamboo was often straw yellow with many dead clums.

I donÂt think there is a clumping bamboo that will stay green all winter in zone 6. Running bamboo" is often significantly more cold hardy than "clumping bamboo". Perhaps others on the board have more info about cold hardy clumpers. I think your two best choices would be Phyllostachys "decora or nuda. Both are very cold hardy and will give you the best chance to have green foliage throughout winter. Phyllostachys "aureosulcata" is also a good choice. There is even a good source down here in coastal Connecticut that sells Phyllostachys "aureosulcata very cheap ($40 for 10-12 foot bamboo plants). New England Bamboo is up in Rockport, MA (northeast of you), although they are quite pricey.

Based on the size of the area you have, you might want to install a rhizome barrier (root barrier) to keep the bamboo right in that spot. This process involves digging down about 24 - inches in a circular fashion creating a ring around the grove (leave about ½ inch above ground). This way you can spot any runners that attempt to dive over the barrier. Once the barrier is installed you can enjoy the vigor or running bamboo wih the worry of it spreading to areas you donÂt want it in.

Good Luck.

• dorothyz6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nomadct,

Thank you for your help! Your "real world" input was exactly what I was looking for. I have been in touch with NE Bamboo in Rockport and as I suspected :) was told that there were several hardy varieties. But while they might be hardy -- as you mentioned, there may be significant die back. I'll look into the varieties you mentioned, but may end up trying my hand with bamboo on a less ambitious project.

Thank you again for your help!

• rphcfb
    14 years ago

Dorothy
    In 2007 we were looking for bamboo to use as a screen although in a much smaller area (maybe 20'x5'). My recollection is that clumpers can be cold tolerant esp some Fargesias but less tolerant of sun. Runners the opposite.
    We ended up getting a runner, Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' because it's cold hardy and can do full sun. It has survived 2 winters here in Shrewsbury, MA with about 50% leaf kill. It has bounced back with new leaves each time. We are still working out a system to protect it better.
    We did install a barrier to contain it which may be prohibitive for you given the size of your area.
    A quick count today looks like we have about 70 new shoots so far this year. If you would like to see it, please it me know. You can't be too far away!
    Chuck B

• tomtbone
    14 years ago

I live over in Milford, MA. Any chance I could see some pics of your bamboo? I am thinking of getting the spectablis and it would be planted in about a 20'x3' strip.
    Thanks!

• maxcow
    14 years ago

nomadct,

that is barely true at all. alothough it is true with alot of species, there are many kinds of bamboo that will thrive in zone 6. also, clumping bamboos are usaully much hardier. there are not many kinds of bamboo that will thrive below -20(f) but there are still some. i have some Phyllostachys vivax 'Huangwenzhu' that survives the negative weather fine.

Sponsored