Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting new bamboo shoots

Posted by steve-g (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 07 at 15:20

I have a patch of bamboo growing in my yard. This spring some new shoots have surfaced in a direction I don't want the bamboo to grow. Will the new shoots (about 1-2 feet tall now and about 1-3 feet from main clump) survive if I dig them up and put them in a large pot? I'm not sure the type of bamboo but half of it grows in a zig-zag pattern.

I'm a total bamboo novice so I apologize if this issue is has been beat to death.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting new bamboo shoots

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 07 at 16:27

If you want to kill them now, dig them up. If you want them to survive in pots, let the shoots grow up so that the culms can harden off; then wait until the plant is dormant (next winter or very early spring) and then dig up the root ball and pot. If you chop the roots right now, it's equivalent to cutting the umbilical cord months early. In the future, if you want to avoid shoots coming up where you don't want them, take a sharp shovel and chop all around the boundary you want to maintain, which will kill any rhizomes that are escaping too far. Usually this is done in the fall.

And your bamboo is probably Ph. aureosulcata. Does it look like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ph. aureo

o

Yes, exactly like that. Thanks for the response. I don't want kill it. I want it to grow south along my fence, but it seems to want to go east towards my house.

o

Wed, May 30, 07 at 1:02

Well, if you make the divisions as I suggested you can force it to grow south. And if you live in a moderate Zone, you wouldn't have to pot them up. You could just take the division early next spring and replant it where you want immediately. What climate Zone are you in?

o

8 I think... North Seattle (wedgwood).

o

Wed, May 30, 07 at 11:06

Steve-
The timing I suggested for you should work fine as I'm also in Zone 8. In fact, we're neighbors...I'm in Bothell!

o

thanks for the advice. if the bamboo doesn't creep much closer to the house I will leave it be until next year.

o

Thu, May 31, 07 at 12:02

Steve-
Where it's coming up is probably the limit of creep for this year. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here