Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auchemist

Assistance Required!

auchemist
13 years ago

Calling experienced bamboo growers and those looking to help!

IÂm a beginner at bamboo, as in IÂve never grown any type of bamboo. My mother has a small patch of a miniature variety growing in our backyard but thatÂs the closest I come to having grown any type of bamboo.

IÂm writing today because IÂd like to change that, and sadly my requirements require a bit of assistance from those experienced with growing bamboo. I would like to grow bamboo in a pot (albeit a large one) indoors. This apparently poses a few problems: most bamboo apparently do not like the dry conditions that occur indoors, most bamboo apparently do not like the hard, alkaline tap water that it will be receiving, most bamboo likes quite a bit of sunlight, most bamboo tends to grow quite a bit higher than the typical eight foot ceiling and bamboo is more than capable of growing right through the ceiling unlike a lot of other plants.

Most of what I know about bamboo has come from Michael BellÂs book "The GardenerÂs Guide to Growing Temperate Bamboos", from various garden catalogs such as LogeeÂs (where you get poorer just looking at the catalog!) and websites such as http://www.growit.com/bamboo/ , http://www.bamboos.com/ , http://www.tripplebrookfarm.com/newweb/general/bamboo_main.shtml , http://www.gardenlist.com/Bamboo.htm . In general, for pot growing, various bambusa multiplex varieties of bamboo are suggested. I believe this is as they are clumping (wonÂt burst the pot?) and generally a bit more tolerant of indoor growing. Bambusa vulgaris and bambusa multiplex Âalphonse-karr in particular comes to mind.

So, you ask yourself, what exactly is this rambling young man looking for in the way of input?

A) Is bamboo likely to obtain its full stature (height, culm thickness, rhizome growth/expansion) in a pot growing situation?

B) What type of bamboo would you recommend in light of and needing a plant that would accept:

a. Myself being a beginner with bamboo?

b. To be pot grown.

c. Medium to low light.

d. Hard, alkaline water.

e. Tolerate an 8 ft ceiling, drooping/"flowing"/term not coming to me :S allowed.

f. Thicker culms are preferred.

And thatÂs about it, if you require any more information please feel free to ask, I can be a bit scatter brained from time to time. Otherwise thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Comments (4)

• solus
    13 years ago

Those condition sounds like theyÂre suitable only for lucky bamboo =)
    Seriously I canÂt think of any bamboo thatÂd do well indoor without sufficient light. Perhaps the Indocalamus or others that tolerate shade? But they all have slim culms. Also bamboo is not likely to obtain its full stature growing in regular container culture. I once potted a Bambusa ventricosa indoor, but it was situated in the living room that has an atrium. It didnÂt do very well either; but took off nicely the minute I put it in ground.

• dodge7895
    13 years ago

as with auchemist, i'm also kinda in the same boat. I have no experience with bamboo what so ever. although i have a fairly good green thumb.

my wife wants a screen of bamboo to block out the neighbors. my plan is to dig out a trench about 2 1/2 feet wide, 30 feet long, and 2 feet deep lined with heavy plastic to help prevent to bamboo from going into the neighbors yard. i would like something fast growing, and well lets face it cheap. from looking around at all the different types of bamboo it's all guessing game for me, although i have found out that i live in zone 7 for Europe (north east France).

clumping or running, and what type.
    any suggestions please.

thanks in advance

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

If you expect to keep bamboo from running outside the planting area, heavy plastic will not work unless it is specifically the product known as bamboo barrier, and that would cost at least $150-200 for the size area you describe. Clumping bamboo will not be cheap because, well, it's clumping, so you would need quite a bit of it to fill in a screen. On the other hand, you would not need to worry about using barrier.

For your purposes, some type of running bamboo, such as one of the Phyllostachys will probably be the best choice.

• solus
    13 years ago

Hey you know there's a famous bamboo nursery in southern France called La Bambouseraie de Prafrance (link below). You might wanna give them a call and see if they have any on sales currently; also check with them which is the most vigorous grower in your area.

http://www.bambouseraie.com/

Like kudzu9 said, the running variety would be cheaper. For hedging and screening, Paul Whittaker in his Hardy Bamboos (ISBN 088192685X) recommended P. aureosulcata, which has a tendency to grow in a straight line; also P. aurea, which is easy to clip and shape. Although I personally frown on people making topiary out of bamboo--- it makes bamboo look hideously dumb! =) He also mentioned the Semiarundinaria  vigorous runners but not as tall as the Phyllostachys.

For clumpers, I think the Fargesias should be fine in zone 7 like area; I have one growing here in zone 9 under full sun and still look pretty (with plenty of water of course).But the Fargesias are tight clumpers so youÂd be looking at buying more plants, and theyÂre not as tall  usually in the 15Â-25 range whereas the Phyllostachys average at least 30Â.

Not sure if you can grow Bambusa vulgaris in zone 7, but theyÂre clumpers with long rhizomes which resulted in an open habit. I just bought one Bambusa vulgaris ÂVittata planning on planting it in from of a semi-see-through fence for enhanced screening.

Have fun digging!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!