Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bambookid524

ID Please, :)

bambookid524
15 years ago

I posted this topic a while back and got some answers that the bamboo may be A. Gigantea but pics were needed so I went out today and snapped a few quick shots, so i apologize in advance for the low quality pics, i was in a hurry.

This was found all along the creek behind my house, but I have never seen it too much bigger than these pics, which leads me away from believing it is Arundinaria Gigantea considering the Max. Size. This plant has obviously been growing here for a good amount of time considering the amount of plants. I am positive it is bamboo ad if it is indeed A. Gigantea, is there anything i can do to get it to full size? I am going to take some tommorrow and put it in a pot and feed it.

All answers will be much appreciated :)

This 1st pic is of some of the "grove" The canes are around 1 foot in size on average but while visiting family in Northern Fl near Jacksonville I saw some just like it w/ one cane about .5 in diameter and 3-4 foot tall.

{{gwi:410378}}

This next pic is of one of the culms.

{{gwi:410379}}

Farther back from the 'grove'.

{{gwi:410380}}

{{gwi:410381}}

Ok. Those were the pics. The roots aren't all throughout the rhizome like some of the other species of bamboo. Most of the roots are at the base of the culm and are just barely underground. And many rhizomes end in whipshoots. It is definitely a running species!

If you have any answers as to what this is please let me know. If it is A. Gigantea please let me know (if you know) how to get it around full size.

Thank you sooo much!!! :)

-Steve

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm