Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamkasia_gw

What kind of bamboo or other trees can I use to create privacy?

iamkasia
11 years ago

My husband and I are first time homebuyers who recently bought a home with a nice pool and small yard. Our neighbors house looks directly onto our yard from one side. What kind of trees can we plant that wouldn't take up too much room, and look symmetrical and pretty, and grow fast and high, to create privacy?

Comments (4)

• iamkasia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You can see the yard at this link. I am referring to the right side of the photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: yard

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

iamkasia- The link doesn't work...it just connects to a Google log-in screen. It may work for you if you are logged in to your account, but it won't work for us.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

Although I can't, yet, see your photo, I will point out that any tree you plant along or near the property line can be trimmed by your neighbor...at least any part that hangs over the property line. That is why you should plant something that won't spread out much over time. There are some clumping bamboos that would work, and some small, columnar cedars (if they can survive in your area). It would also be helpful if you would say how tall and wide an area you want to fill. Lastly, you should consult some local plant nurseries to see what they recommend that will meet your requirements and will survive well in your heat.

• kevlar68
    11 years ago

If you're in Clear Lake area go to Maas Nursery (maasnursery.com) he has a good bamboo page on his site. You can LOOK at the bamboo there and get some expert advice, but he is WAYWAYWAY overpriced (e.g. $249 for a 3gal phyl. nigra). Also there used to be a really good bamboo nursery in Pasadena at 2525 Genoa Red Bluff Road...but I drove by there (quickly) about a month ago and thought I saw it closed/gone, need to check.

If you are anywhere near Houston and really want to see some nice bamboo, you need to head to Mercer Arboretum in Humble, especially during one of their "events".

I have been VERY Happy with nice full hedge from Bambusa Multiplex Alphonse Karr here in Clear Lake area. I have a similar issue where I wanted to block back of neighbor's home from "peeking" into my pool; 5 x 5gal Alphonse Karr (from that Pasadena grove I mentioned $50/ea...plus he threw in a FREE 3gal. phyl nigra) and a year later I have 10-12 ft shoots this year and once they fill out = mission accomplished...hoping for 15-20 ft next year!?!?! We had relatively hard freeze (25 oF..brrr) in 2011 winter here and the A.K. grove in Pasadena had some burnt leaves near the top but was filling in nicely again when we purchased divisions.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner