Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hpsven

pruning bamboo

hpsven
12 years ago

I've recently dug up some black bamboo stalks with root clumps and potted them in rich mulch. They were replanted within an hour after digging them up.

I keep them moist and in shade. The stalks are 2-4ft tall and the leaves have wilted.

I know that bamboo is hearty but I need to know how to trim the dead leaves and the stalks.

Also I need to know how to best care for them.... any basic "does & don'ts" received would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

HP in sunny CA

Comments (3)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

How much root did you get? What you're describing sounds to me like you got some culms (stalks) that may not have had enough root mass attached and may not be able to survive. Typically, for culms that are that size, you would get a root ball (roots + attached dirt) at least the size of a canteloupe. In addition, it's best to take bamboo divisions when they are fairly dormant: in the winter. Taking them now, especially if they are this year's shoots, is not good: they're not established,

As for pruning, it's best to do nothing right now. Do give them water and light and see if they live. If they are still viable, it will take a couple of months before you see new leaves. In addition, bamboo culms do not grow any bigger or taller than they get in the first 2 months or so, and they do not replace anything that is pruned away.

I may be able to give you more advice, but first I need you to describe just what you actually got when you dug them up.

• hpsven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response! The culms are 1/4"- 3/8" in diameter with root clumps varying in size from large lemons to grapefuit size.
    The other day I trimmed back dead leaves.

The place from where I dug them up was neglected for years, the dirt was hard and dry, yet the bamboo was still doing it's best to survive. The dirt was so hard and dry that some of the dirt around the root ball just fell away.

My culms are in 1 gallon pots containing quality moist soil in a mostly shaded area.

They have been traumatized by my lack of "bamboo wisdom" but I'm hoping I brought them change for the better.... time will tell!

Thanks again for the info... It is greatly appreciated!

H

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Good luck, although I worry about what you have there. Root balls that small typically don't have enough vigor to survive. But don't give up.

And if you take further divisions in the future, it may help to heavily soak the ground for a day or so to allow you to dig out a more complete, larger root ball.