Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo trade in Seattle?

Posted by Tessinseattle 8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 16:43

Anyone interested in a partial bamboo swap/trade in Seattle area? I have 16 large nursery pots (24 gallon) of mature Golden (at least 4 years old that have been split/repotted a year ago). I'm looking for something a bit more shade tolerant and preferably greener. I prefer green to yellow, black, or red, though I'm flexible. My bamboo needs (feel free to chime in if you have a species you think would work for this scenario): I'm trying to screen out a 3-story apartment building on the western border of our property. I am a little apprehensive about the use of aggressive runner bamboo in an urban area (even w/ rhizome barrier) but I've researched my options online and it seems the only very tall clumpers (which thrive here) are Borinda Boliana, or Chusquea Gigantea. The B. Boliana I've heard might not over-winter well and possible isn't upright enough to act as a screen. I'm concerned about using a timber bamboo like C. Gigantea since I'm not sure how manageable that size would be in our 5K sf lot. I'm looking for something w/ a very upright habit (maybe Semiarundinaria fastuosa viridis, green temple bamboo) and maximum screening capabilities that will reach a height of at least 25'. Any recommendation for good bamboo screens would be very much appreciated. FYI: this bamboo would only have direct sunlight in the morning as the western apartment building would block afternoon sun. The soil is on the rich, loose side, though I'm not sure of its acidity. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here