Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gatrees

Bamboo for shaded area in Zone 7

Love Trees
16 years ago

Hello Bambusa lovers:

First time, I am looking to plant some Bamboos in my backyard to be used as screen. The problem is I dont have sun in my yard because I have very large trees around.

Can you suggest some Nice babmoo variety that can grow fast, tall in Shade, dry area in Zone 7?

Thanks

Comments (5)

• takumaku
    16 years ago

Any thing from Fargesia or Chusquea (Chusquea cumingii, gigantea, etc.) will fit the bill.

• inversa
    16 years ago

takumaku, i don't think either of those genus will survive georgia heat, even in shade. i'm a few hundred miles north and have given up on all of them except f rufa, the chusquea gigantea will die in 2-3 weeks once it gets hot, i've seen it 4 times now, maybe other chusquea can take the heat but not culeou, nirgicans, nor gigantea. arundinaria gigantea ps. japonica or phy. rubromarginata will fit the bill. sorry, not trying to be contrarian but i've killed 7 chusquea and several of the fargesia all due to too much heat.

• takumaku
    16 years ago

I'm not sure how bad Georga heat is to Viginia's heat, but in Virginia, it is not uncommon during the summer to have -90-100+ and high humidity. I was basising my recommendation on the zone provided (Z7) partly because they are so close to my zone (Z7b). Fargesia, Chusquea, and Bambusa all grow great here except Bambusa can be consider a 100% top-kill perennial. All my plants in growing in shade area because my property is small and my neighbors have huge oak trees growing in their back yards.

• inversa
    16 years ago

my guess is that your va heat is similar to georgia, so you are doing something to keep these finicky guys happy. i'd be interested in hearing how yours do over time, there are lots of folks who have given up on the montane species in hot/humid climates such as yours so let us know what all you are seeing/doing to keep yours happy. i have 3x seen a happy looking c. gigantea drop dead in 2 weeks of 90's w/high humidity. a grower nearby tried them and exactly the same thing, he thought his were doing well and he said in 2 weeks dead. the only other person i know of in the s.e. who is having some success with the montane species is in the mountains of s carolina and he says they seldom hit 90. friends in tn, ohio, alabama, mississippi all have killed theirs as well.

• takumaku
    16 years ago

Maybe since I'm by a beach, the cooler temperatures may be helping (heat zone 6; cold hardiness zone 7b). I do use horse manure, mulch, and water alot (mostly around dusk to prevent fungus growth) during the summer. I don't think this is anything unique since I do this to all my plants, not just the boo.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH