Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chusquea Gigantea footprint question

Posted by MagmaChamber 8b (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 17:38

I have planted three 5 gallon Chusquea Giganteas to replace a dead row of Arborvitae, with one Fargesia Robusta on either side. I am not concerned about the Robusta, but I worry a little bit about the Giganteas. They are about 5 feet from a stone paver patio (the kind where you put down gravel, then sand, then set the pavers in). The slope of the terrain sets the patio about two feet higher than where the Gigantea is planted. The soil is very poor, hard and clay-like. Roots from a nearby cherry tree are throughout.

I see that they are an open clumping species unlike the Robusta which is more compact. I am concerned with them pushing culms up through the pavers. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

-John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chusquea Gigantea footprint question

Most of the Chusqueas don't like really hot weather so if your Summer temps get into the upper 90's or triple digits, then C. gig. may not do very well.

Kt

o

Thanks kentuck_8b. I live in Portland, Oregon where I've heard that it does well. I am mainly concerned that it will do TOO well and push up the patio blocks. I don't know if this concern is warranted.

o

I wouldn't worry about it. Five feet is a big distance for even an open clumper. If it starts putting up culms too close for your liking, then do some rhizome pruning. This is not a big deal.

o

Wondering how your Chusquea Gigantea situation panned out. It was the one bamboo a local vendor warned me against because the rhizomes of one he dug out recently dove under a 36" rhizome barrier and wreaked havoc. I still love the height but I gather that it's more a clumper in name only. What was your experience?

o

I have had several other Chusqueas for about 10 years, and I used to grow gigantea years ago at another house. They do not behave as was described to you. In particular, I do not believe that any bamboo, let alone a gigantea, would dive under a 36" barrier. I think your local vendor: 1) didn't know his species, 2) was exaggerating, 3) doesn't know the growing habits of clumpers, and 4) may have been commenting on an improperly installed barrier. I just don't buy it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here