Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waterman1971

new idea

waterman1971
15 years ago

I just sprayed all my bamboo with muriatic acid. Has anyone ever tried this?

Comments (12)

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

You are really trying to get rid of your bamboo aren't you.

What types? I could probably take some off your hands.

Pm me if you can send some if they dont die. I will gladly pay shipping if I know what kind it is and i want it.

-Steve

• waterman1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do you think the acid will work? I can get 50% caustic if you think it would be more effective. Help me Steve

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

I don't think it will work. You would have to almost pull a miracle to fully kill bamboo.

What types is it? Can you post pics too? Some are easier to kill than other.

Let me know and I wil see what i can do.

• waterman1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure of the species of plant. It seems to be clumping in nature, 1" diameter at the base and around 40 feet tall. This plant is green in color. . I took a chainsaw to it about 3 weeks ago, and reduced it to between 2-3 feet in height. It has since made an attempt at a comeback with shoots around 6 feet high.The muriatic has knocked it down in a matter of about 4.5 hours. When i say knocked it down, it is now parallel to the ground and dark in color.Keeping my fingers crossed!

• waterman1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Steve
    I apologize for the somewhat hostile nature of my recent posts. This stuff is truly amazing and has gotten me at my wits end. A formidable opponent to say the least. Forgive me if i derive a small amount of pleasure in its torment and that of those that champion its cause. You sir are truly a man amongst men to provide assistance to one who is seemingly at odds with yourself. Your advice is greatly appreciated...Brandon

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

I don't know of any bamboo that is one inch in diameter and grows 40 feet tall. Sounds like an interesting specimen.

I would like to have seen a photo of it.

If it is truly a clumper, then it should be much easier to kill off than a runner.

Clumpers are very desirable compared to runners. There are a number of ways to get rid of bamboo, but some don't always work.

How large of an area does the clump cover?

Kt

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

WOW!!! I will definitely remember to put some muriatic acid around my trenches to make sure that if anything get by them I can be sure they wont go far. I hope it works. My trenches are looking pretty good though so it shouldn't have too...hopefully.

If any of it is alive do you think you can send some?

I also agree with Kentuck, that is probably a very nice specimen.

• waterman1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The diameter at the base is no more than 1.25" you have my word. Once i dropped it i attempted to measure3 it with a 25' tape, imagine my chagrin when the 50' was needed to obtain an accurate reading. In response to your question, the plant consists of 4-5 clumps approx 5' in diameter. If i fail in my quest to eradicate my foe by traditional means, i may be forced to unleash my ace. Before this option is deployed, it is my wish to obtain the knowledge of the experts on this board.

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Again, sounds like a very nice specimen, and you, being in Florida, well there are dozens of growers in the Tampa area that would pay good money for the plants.

You could be sitting on a small fortune, unless the plants are already too damaged. Clumpers bring good money. A little work and a couple of weekends, and you can have several pots to sell, and bamboo isn't cheap. Put a price of $40 a pot on it.

I'd still like to know exactly what variety you have(had). Is it a very erect grower or do the culms lean outward?

Thanks.

Kt

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

Do you think you can post some pics?

• waterman1971
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kentuck, if i have somehow led you to believe that i reside in Florida, then i am sorry. The "culms", as you have referred to them, tend to be mostly vertical in orientation. I will make an attempt upon the morrow to present photographic evidence as to the culprit upon which we currently dwell. That being said i find it a bit cumbersome to navigate this website, perhaps i am lacking in sophistication. At any rate i will make all attempts to present the evidence to support my claims.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Believe me, you're not alone when it comes to navigating this site...

It'd be wiser of GW to just eliminate the "e-mail notification" option at the bottom of a new Thread posting. I've never known it work. Moreover, it causes newcomers to expect notification...which they don't receive...which, in turn, leads to looooong delays in communication....which sometimes cause oldcomers to assume the original Poster is not all that interested in information. A terrible, vicious cycle.

The "Gallery" pages are the most scrambled/difficult aspect of the whole site, in my opinion.

Better just to post images to Threads directly. Faster, easier, and more likely to garner replies.

Josh

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz