Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

How do you integrate bamboo in the yard

I hadn't grown any bamboo until last year, when I brought home to MD a bit of a dwarf striped yellow bamboo from SC. My parents have a grove of the running stuff down there, which is pretty huge and extensive from access to a fair amount of water nearby as the land slopes.

In MD I'm up on a hill and my topsoil isn't very deep at all so anything set in the ground is a hard fought struggle at first. I've been going for a tropicalesque look in which I take my large tropical house plants and set them in the ground until frost threatens. I had this mini bamboo out with the tropicals and it overwintered fine (though we did have a mild winter in zone 6-7).

I like the sound bamboo leaves make in a breeze and the colors of the few I've seen. I have enjoyed harvesting some for my garden uses (probably runner type though). Don't know if there are any benefits to birds(?) I'm thinking I would like a clumping type, but wonder how to choose the best site to enjoy it when the other tropical are out which are in the sun for the most part.

How are your specimen bamboos sited and can you suggest one for me (north central MD, which was 6 and trending toward 7).

Comments (2)

Sponsored