Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Being Eaten by Birds or Mice!!

Posted by stevo_2007 San Francisco, CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 19:24

Hi, I have three beautiful bamboo plants and they are doing quite well but last week some animal started eating/decimating them. I think its a mouse of some sort as I can see a few rather small black "poops" on the deck around the plants. Ive attempted to block off any way of the mice getting into the deck area and Ive built these (see photos) sheet metal barriers around the planters to try to keep them out. They seem to come both during the day when we are at work and during the night. Has any one had this problem before? I did a search on GW and saw someone talking about Sparrows eating her Bamboo but I dont see any references to mice eating them. Any one have any thoughts about how I can stop this since my sheet metal barriers dont seem to be working?

And why the heck are they eating them in the first place? Really strange.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Being Eaten by Birds or Mice!!

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 08 at 20:48

I don't think it's mice or birds. However, squirrels are notorious for destroying bamboo shoots...they like the high sugar content in the tender shoots. To deal with this problem, see my answer in this forum to the poster whose topic is: "squirrels chewing moso shoots."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here