Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bambusa dolichomerithalia - silverstripe timber bamboo

Posted by isabow Georgia (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 19:28

We're thinking of putting a hedge-type of bamboo along our back fence. We're not particular about the height so much but I'm concerned about the invasive quality.

I don't know if I could post a picture of the backyard here but we're just getting started on the renovations and picture or two would help you guys see what we're up against. Completely frugal budget so it will be a long process and just me and the hubby working the labor portion. Now, that being said, we plan for a Japanese-like garden (sort of like on the movie Karate Kid) with plenty of bamboo in pots and as hedges and hoping for some bonsai trees.

I know I could put in a barrier to prevent running but how invasive is this particular kind? Does it grow well in the Atlanta area? Will it need full sun or will partial shade work? Can we forego the barrier for a small, shallow trench?

We're novices at the whole gardening thing so please bear with us :)

Mike and Lynita Tate
Marietta, GA

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful Bamboo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bambusa dolichomerithalia - silverstripe timber bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 08 at 22:09

Bambusas are clumping, not running, bamboo. Therefore you should have no concern about invasiveness: the bamboo will simply get a little bigger around each year. The downside is that, since it is a clumper, you'll have to buy quite a few to get a hedge effect as clumpers fill in gaps very slowly. Good luck with your project.

o
RE: bambusa dolichomerithalia - silverstripe timber bamboo, Part

Mon, May 19, 08 at 22:13

One other thing: What Zone are you in? The bamboo you asked about - Bambusa dolichomerithalia "Silverstripe" - is beautiful, but only hardy to about 25F, and may suffer leaf damage before it gets that cold.

o

Hey :)

Thanks for the heads-up on the clumper...thought that was a runner.

I'm in the Atlanta area :)

o

Tue, May 20, 08 at 21:39

isabow-
So...I've never been to Atlanta in the winter, but, looking at the Zone map, it looks like Zone 7, which would likely get too cold for that bambusa to survive. Do you know of anyone successfully growing it in your area?

I recommend you consider a hardier clumper, like Fargesia dracocephala, Fargesia nitida, Fargesia murieliae, or Fargesia robusta, which are all beautiful, hardy to 0F or less, and likely to keep their foliage all winter.

o

Hi.
Fargesias may have the hardiness but they will languish in the Atlanta summer heat. Bambusa textilis varieties can take the higher teens and they do well in the heat. Bambusa multiplex varieties can also be a good choice.
Rich

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here