Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spectabilis is flowering!! pic and ??

Posted by bamboobubba z7 AR (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 07 at 19:33

I was doing my yearly cleaning of my grove and in the middle i found two culms full of flowers and seed pods. I have read that the whole grove will flower and die, is this true?Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spectabilis is flowering!! pic and ??

Oh how exciting! Possibly a flower or two will form and nothing will come of it - the flowering will be confined to a few culms. OR the entire thing will go to seed. It doesn't necessarily mean death, but the grove will be exhausted and need years to recover vigor. Flowering is a privilage to watch so enjoy it whatever happens. Oh yea, can I get my hands on some seeds?:)

o

Brian, This year has been so hard on my Boos. Easter weekend two days of 17 degree nights, killed all my new culms, then new culms started again and we were hit by a TORNADO ! Many new culms broke at the ground. My Robert Young recovered and has 25 foot culms over 2". The spectablis Is doing well except for the damage caused by the two events. I'll see if I get some viable seeds and we can talk about sharing. Dave

o

have just noticed on some older starts of Spectabilis that it has gone into flowering mode. what a bummer.

Washington State

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here