Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diffuse spreading yet non-leptomorph/non-running bamboo questions

Posted by bamboo_oligarchy z8b SC (My Page) on
Tue, May 2, 06 at 19:38

What types of diffuse spreading yet non-leptomorph/running bamboos are there? This includes the "open clumping" bamboos (many say that some diffuse spreaders like the Yushanias are not exactly open clumpers since they fill in the spaces later). I tried out Chusquea Gigantea however it appeared to be very slowly dying so I had to ship it off in a trade. Although I am not entirely certain about this it seems that most of the diffuse non-running spreaders some to be mountain bamboos which do not grow well in south eastern South Carolina.

I am particuarly interested in some type of species that can survive and grow fairly well in a zone 8b or 9a type environment (if there are any like that). During the summer temperatures frequently reach the 90s and enter the 100s sometimes. Night time temperature also can at times remain above 70.

The minimum temperature during the winter often is in the lower twenties although a brief period of below 20 is not impossible. I could try to grow the bamboo in a pot until it reached a hardy size if cold tolerance is a problem (yet not too severe of a problem).

I have a Yushania Anceps which appeared to be harmed to some degreed by the warm summer of 2005. I planted it in May 2005. It has since made a substantial recovery and has sent up a very large amount of bushy culms. The height of these culms is considerably less than the largest culms all of which survived from last year (though the color of their culms are either yellow or a darkish almost faded blackish purple color). The new culms are quite thin as well though they have begun to gradually spread farther from the original place. I do not know whether or not the new growth will be able to survive the heat to a better or worse degree than the large culms survived the summer of last year. I hope that the Yushania will continue to make progress and that the new growth will be more capable of function in the heat however I want to investigate other spreading non-running bamboos in case the situation begins to deteriorate and I must send off the Anceps somewhere where it can survive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diffuse spreading yet non-leptomorph/non-running bamboo quest

Hey, you might want to check out this site, it is in Oregon, and can probably help you with your questions also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo garden Nursery

o

Have you looked at Thamnocalamus tessellatus.
The ABS source list says it "Clumps tight to loose".
It does have a problem with temperatures near 0*F but has came back larger every year for me. It also does not mind temps over 100*F with low humidity. I do not know how it will do with humidity.

Bill
Bambooweb.info

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

o

I have decided to change the topic of this thread a bit.
I now seek to know which leptomorph bamboos are the least aggressive spreaders. The pachymorph spreading types usually either seem to have trouble surviving or recovering from the summer or they are a tropical species which would either not survive the winter or would be almost killed each year. The Thamnocalamus tessellatus would not be damaged by the cold where I live however.

I could use containment methods such as mowing however if the bamboo is less aggressive than the vast majority or leptomorph types then it would perhaps need only mowing for containment.

I have heard that Pleioblastus Simonii does not spread aggressively (I am not sure exactly how that compares to the aggresive spreaders though). It has many interesting characteristics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here