Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Identification request

Posted by lifyre 5b (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 19:41

Good evening,

This bamboo has been on the property since I bought it in late 2011. It has likely been here for at least 7 years (judging by the previous owners) so it is cold hardy below zero F.

Here is what I know:

It appears to be a runner
It gets about an inch maybe 1.5 inches in diameter, most culms are closer to 3/4 inch.
There are many culms 12 to 15 feet tall, it may get taller.
It likes to bend at lower nodes and many culms zig zag for a foot or two near the ground.
Leaves are usually about .5-1 inch wide and 3-5 inches long.

I have attached a picture of a new shoot. I have other pictures and can (hopefully) answer any questions you have.

I have a couple guesses but I would love to see what the experts think it is. I want to know what I have to I can use it and groom it correctly.

-Sean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Identification request

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the older culms. However, the kind of zig-zagging you describe is pretty specific to Phyllostachys aureosulcata, a commonly grown bamboo also know as Yellow groove. Is this a green bamboo -- perhaps turning to yellow-tan after a while -- with a yellow sulcus (groove)? Take a look at the pictures of the culms in the link below and tell me what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ph. aureosulcata pix

o

Here is a picture of some of the mature culms. I thought it might be yellow groove but it didn't seem to fit with a lot of the pictures I've seen.

o

Mature bamboo culms can vary in appearance based on exposure to sunlight, which is why photos can be confusing for some bamboo. I have a number of green bamboo whose culms turn yellow-tan after long enough exposure. That photo looks like Yellow groove.

o

Excellent! Thank you so much! I feel much better now that someone else with more experience thinks the same way I do. This is my first experience with Bamboo. I think I've got another variety as well that only gets about 1.5 feet tall but it seems to thrive everywhere and is easily controlled with a lawn mower and a funny look.

o

Well, if you can post some pictures of the other one, maybe we can figure something out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here