Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biokinetic

Growing Bamboo

biokinetic
14 years ago

Alright, so I just bought fifteen Buddha Belly Bamboo seedlings off of ebay... I know I probably shouldn't have gotten only fifteen because I have no idea what state the seeds are going to be in since I got it off of ebay and to grow bamboo from seeds supposedly they have to be relatively fresh. So my first question would be, how long do I have to wait after planting them before I can expect to see results so I know if they're all defective or not?

Another thing is I live on four acres of woodland. The area I wanted to plant the bamboo is in a large dog kennel that takes up a large area, but is for the most part dusty and just dirt with a couple of oak trees.

What I'm asking is, will my bamboo grow well in dusty, unfertilized soil? Or am I going to have to fertilize really well the area I plant? I'm not worrying so much about the dogs peeing on the bamboo, because they're supposed to be hardy plants.

Before any of that, though, I'm planning on starting off the bamboo in my room during the night and outside in the full sunlight during the day. Do you think the change in environments will kill the seedlings?