Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan1009

Bamboo in Pots

joan1009
16 years ago

I recently planted to six-foot bamboo trees on my terrance in NYC. I did not know how much water they needed and they are in distress. With other plants I would just cut them back, but these are obviously plants I know nothing about.

The main stalks are a health green, but most of the leaves are dry and dying.

Can anyone give me suggestions about how to save these plants?

Thanks.

J

Comments (8)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Were they recent divisions?

Kt

• ltalent
    16 years ago

You might be over or underwatering them. What variety and what are their leaves doing? More info would help.

• joan1009
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know what variety the are. Frankly, I didn't even know there were varieties when I bought them. The leaves are all dry. At the top of one, there are new tiny leaves.

• joan1009
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Could it be replanting shock?

• prettyphysicslady
    16 years ago

Far more likely you are underwatering them.

As long as bamboo is not sitting in water it is difficult to over water it.

Potted bamboo loses about half its leaves when you take it out of the ground and put it in a pot. So if it is recently potted it may just be that

Also bamboo prefers acidic water, try adding a Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water when watering it.

• User
    16 years ago

On a terrace in NYC, when we have regularly been having temps in the upper 80's, it is impossible to be overwatering any bamboo. Your bamboo is suffering from dehydration. Sounds like it may need a bigger pot. I would transplant into a bigger container (if feasible),mulch,and shade it as much as you can for a while and increase watering until the new leaves takeover. It should recuperate!

• joan1009
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks njoasis. I'll try the vinegar for their nightly feeding. They are showing some signs of life at the top. Do you think I should cut back the dry leaves at the bottom?

• joan1009
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice. The stronger bamboo is growing nicely and the runt of the litter has just started putting out tiny new shoots.