Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any dwarf bamboos?

Posted by house_first_timer 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 20:15

I would like to grow dwarf bamboo that will do well in zone 5 and in container. I don't have any bamboo to trade. But I have some herbs, pepper seeds, bulbs that I can trade you for. Or I can pay for shipping. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any dwarf bamboos?

I'm sorry but I don't think you'll find any bamboo to survive zone 5 in a container (that's much more harsh than putting it in the ground)... unless of course you bring it in for the winter... in which case you don't need to limit yourself to zone 5 hardy species.
Anyone interested would also need to know your basic location since bamboo can't cross international borders.

Hope this helps.

o

cuttlefish,

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I'm located in IL, US, zone 5. I don't mind to plant bamboo in my garden as long as it won't send runners and start spreading like crazy:) But I read that most of the bamboo spreads by sending runners.

o

How about green panda bamboo with some protection?

o

There is a good bamboo website from someone in Indiana, who has had trouble growing clumpers with the exception of green panda (Fargesia rufa). The idea is that these bamboos like it to cool down at night in the summer, so extended periods of hot weather are not good.

If you're interested in the website, just google "needmore bamboo". They're in zone 6, but some good tips for zone 5 as well. Lots of information and pictures. : )

o

House first timer,
You might want to google Pleioblastus variegatus or dwarf white stripe bamboo, zone 4-10, looks awesome in containers, and you can leave it outside if you want to in the winter and it will do just fine.
Just google dwarf bamboo and see all the beautiful varieties that there are for you to choose from.
You might want to try some of them in a bonsai if you want to keep them in a container, they are beautiful bonsais.
Good Luck!

o

butterfly4u,

You know what? I got this exact species more than a week ago at the local nursery. I'm growing it in a container because I'm afraid that it will spread like crazy in my small garden. How's your experience with it? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here