Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Advise

Posted by coop951 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 20:49

Hi
I would love to do a privacy hedge of bamboo in my New Jersey home. It should grow to 10 - 15 feet at max and needs to be cold hardy. I understand that most bamboo roots are very invasive. I need a plant that I can grow 10 feet away from my pool. I do not want to have a problem with roots going into the pool. Does such a plant exist.
I would appreciate help and info on this
Thanks
Coop

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Advise

Roots won't grow into your pool, but the rhizomes may.

You can either install a rhizome barrier or do some type of bi-yearly rhizome trimming to keep a running bamboo in check, or you can plant a clumping bamboo that will spread very slowly over many years and will need no rhizome trimming or barrier.

Kt

o
RE: Bamboo Advise

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 22:26

What kind of pool are you referring to? If this is an in-ground concrete pool, this is not an issue as intact concrete is impervious to rhizomes. If it is something else, please provide details so that we can provide you appropriate advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here