Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo in the hood part II

Posted by iain42 7b Ark (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 20:54

Planted Henon black and robert young Feb 18. We have had some crazy weather in Arkansas. I'm surprised they look as good as they do. The henon seems to be the least hardy but it is coming along.

I'm see lots of new leaves from almost all of the bamboos.

Some black bamboo shoots.

I have a shooting henon but I cheated and bought it at the farmers market for $20. It ha three shoots.

What I was excited about today was a robert young shoot and visible large root.

This growth has exceeded my expectations. I thought It would be next year before I saw shoots or much growth. I credit this to listening to the members of this forum. Thank you so much for the good advice it paid off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo in the hood part II

Unless you want a mixed grove or the tallest species eventually taking over you might want to put down a trench or barrier between each species because they look close enough to intermingle within the 1st growing season.

Anyways as long as you keep them well watered and mulched, they should really fill in next spring after they have spread their rhizomes.

o

I'm still concerned about those utility lines overhead. Are they over the bamboo? How high are they? Don't be surprised if the utility companies start pruning your bamboos for you at some point if they even think that they'll touch the lines.

o

The power lines are behind the bamboo. The lines going across are for cable tv. If they try to do anything about the bamboo because of those I'll make them move them somewhere else. I drove down the alley and there are trees up in the lines in other areas so I'm not too worried about it. They were will always be more bamboo coming up ;)

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 11 at 15:53

Congratulations. You're much more successful with that ambitious project than I expected. It's really hard to do big divisions and have them thrive like that, especially when you're new to this.

o

Thanks but I'm chalking it up to beginners luck and excellent advice on when and how to dig. I'm really amazed. Next spring should be very interesting

o

I have another black bamboo shoot! Incredible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here