Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefalco_gw

Air Layering Bambusa Multiplex Species

joefalco
16 years ago

Has anyone had success with air layering multiplex species? I would like to try with my silverstiripe and goldengoddess.

I went out tonight and bend a culm of the silverstripe down to the ground just to see if it would touch the ground without breaking. I then stuck a couple of bricks on top of the culm just to hold it down. Is there any chance it could root new plants this way?

Should I score the culm add root hormone bury it? I am just looking for any tips someone can provide.

Thank You...

Comments (4)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

I tried twice with my Golden Goddess with no luck, but part of the problem may have been the dry Summers we had and there were some times when they weren't kept moist, but not sure if that had any effect on the outcome.

I will be trying again soon and also with my Silverstripe. I'll keep you posted.

Kt

• Scott Wallace
    16 years ago

I have had good success with Silverstripe and Alphonse Karr using whole culm burial. Essentially I take a culm that is at least 2 years old and cut it down. Then I remove all but one or two small branches at each node, and bury it in a trench with the remaining branches exposed above ground. Usually get several new plants this way.

• joefalco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WEBGATOR. You cut the culm off? I was thinking leaving the culm attached was the way to go...

• Scott Wallace
    16 years ago

Yes I cut the culm completely off. I have yet to try it by leaving the culm either fully or partially attached. Some of my bamboo,including my Multiplex varieties, are now 3 hours from me at my brother's house so I don't have the time to "experiment" with them right now.

However, I do know what has worked, and that was whole culm burial, similar to what this outlines for propagating using culm cuttings. They do discuss trench layering where you do leave part of the culm attached, but again I havn't gotten around to doing that...yet.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/GrowingBamboo.htm#Propagating%20Clumping

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating clumping bamboos

Sponsored