Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building garden structures with bamboo?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 22:34

Hi all,

I have a lot of bamboo on hand right now because I cut a lot of culms a few weeks ago before shooting started. I'd like to try building some garden structures like shade pergolas and trellises and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good website or book that covers bamboo construction techniques especially how to join pieces together.

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building garden structures with bamboo?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 07 at 13:02

Steve-
Surprisingly, it is very difficult finding books that give details on bamboo joinery. I'm a bamboo nut and the only book I've ever found that gives detail on making strong joints is over 100 years old. It's called Bamboo Work, by Paul Hasluck, and the techniques illustrated in the book are still valid. It was reissued a number of years ago in paperback. I think it's out of print, but I do know one place you can get it, and that is from bamboogardener dot com, which I'm spelling out so that the robot message screener doesn't have a fit. This web site has a number of other books on building fences, etc., which involve other types of bamboo constuction; one in particular I can recommend is "Building Bamboo Fences" by Yoshikawa. However, the Hasluck book is the only one I know that shows how to make fitted, furniture-type joints.

o
RE: Building garden structures with bamboo?

I googled this site which has some details. I'm also about to make a trellis out of bamboo for roses. I called a local Japanese nursery and they recommended hemp twine for tying. I've heard hemp paper can last 2000 years so I would think the twine might be long-lasting. The site says if you use it wet it shrinks up when dry and tightens the knots, which is what I was looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to make bamboo trellis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here