Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Established bamboo groves in MI, IN, KY, OH, IL

Posted by uk2006 z5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 23:42

I am looking for people that have established bamboo groves in MI and surrounding states including IN, KY, OH, and IL. I work and live at a camp and I love the look of Bamboo. But it is really expensive to get into. If there are some of you out there that would let me buy some Bamboo for cheap. I would come and do all the labor If it is in one of the states that I mentioned above. Those of you that have groves in and around MI please let me know what you are growing and some tips on growing bamboo. Any and all info is helpful. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Established bamboo groves in MI, IN, KY, OH, IL

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 07 at 11:27

uk2006-
That's an interesting idea, but, given the cost per mile of driving these days, it would probably be cheaper and easier to order bamboo from reliable online vendors. Bamboo at local nurseries can be outrageously priced, but you can often get it sent to you much more reasonably. You also have to understand that Zone 5 is really marginal for bamboo, and even the hardiest bamboo will probably be topkilled each year. Further, bamboo that grow well in, say, KY might completely die the first winter in your location. Hopefully those few people on this forum who grow bamboo in Zone 5 will chime in on what would be most likely to survive for you. One of the hardiest is Phyllostachys nuda, which is supposedly hardy to -20F. The link below shows what happens to it when it gets down to -12F. If you want the names of some online sources, feel free to email me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ph. nuda, -12F

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here