Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

Clumping suggestion for z8, SC

User
13 years ago

Hi all!

I need a suggestion for a nice attractive clumper for privacy for sandy soil, very hot South Carolina location.

Clumper, because I don't want to install a barrier, and there is plenty of room for it to grow anyway.

It is very humid here, but I will mulch it and water it when it needs it.

I would like a bigger specimen, or something that grows fast, I don't want to have to wait 3 years for it to grow to 5-6 feet tall.

Anyone from the South East have any suggestions, or someone very knowlegable about bamboo?

Thanks to all in advance!

Comments (5)

• alan_l
    13 years ago

You might be out of luck. You're too cold for most (all?) of the tropical clumpers, and you're too warm for the cold-hardy clumpers.

Hopefully somebody in a similar climate to yours will correct me if I'm wrong.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

alan-
    That was my initial reaction, too. I'm in Zone 8 and grow a number of clumpers (non-tropical), but our summers here in the Pacific NW are very mild, and the clumpers I can grow do not do well in hot climates. Maybe there is something that will work, but it would be a real balancing act. If the OP wants fast-growing, large, and hardy, then a runner makes a lot more sense. If there is plenty of room to spread out, there is no reason why some annual rhizome pruning wouldn't take care of any problems.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kudzu9,
    If I plant a runner, will you instruct me on annual rhizone pruning when I need it?
    The ground is real loose and sandy, so I shouldn't have a hard time finding them.
    You can put a shovel in the ground and step on it with no problem.
    Thank you for your help.
    I hope it grows good, there seems to be alot of wild bamboo around here, so it probably will spread and grow thick I hope.

• new2zone9a
    13 years ago

Not sure of protocol but if is ok to post a website of a place where I've bought some of my bamboo (owner is real nice guy and was or might still be pres of local bamboo society)...

http://tropicalbamboo.com

lets you search by type of bamboo (run or clump) and zone (goes down to zone 8b). Web site shows 32 clumping varieties suitable to 8b with some hardy to 15 degrees F.

• Scott Wallace
    13 years ago

There are many Bambusa varieties that tolerate sub-freezing temps, in particular many of the ones in the Multiplex variety.

I had a low of about 18F in my backyard here in Jacksonville, FL, and of the 20+ tropical clumpers in my yard, the Bambusa mutabilis held up the best!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County