Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hank11_gw

Observations that lead to more questions

hank11
14 years ago

It seems the more I learn the less I know. Late last winter I root pruned my Phy. dulcis,"sweetshoot". I only pruned in 1 direction to stop the spread. this spring has produced an abundance of new shoots, on the side that was pruned, the new culms in the grove are half again as thick and tall and as all the others. Any thoughts? On the other side of the grove I am going to remove a few culms that are new this year with rootballs to start a new grove. My question here is can I dig these this summer/fall or should I wait until next year after they have completely hardened off? Also a follow up on the rhizomes after root pruning,I put several in 5 gallon pots, they all have put up shoots but they are pencil size and puny, not worth the effort, but had to try. In March last year I was lucky enough to get a start of Mclure vivax, the root ball was only the size of a basketball with a cane about 2 inches diam. and was broken off at about 8 ft. It didn't put up any shoots last year, this spring it has 3 culms almost 2 inches thick and pushing 20 ft. tall. At the same time I planted a regular vivax with the 4 inch cane cut down and a rootball 3 ft. in diam. and am only getting barely 1 inch culms, go figure. Wife saw me outside on my hands and knees and shouted what the hell are you doing, I looked up smiling and said"the Madake is shooting", she went back in the house, guess I better go.... Hank

Comment (1)