Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigdaddy_gw

Budda Belly

bigdaddy
17 years ago

I recently planted a Budda Belly that I had in a 10 gallon container for about 3 years. It's about 3' tall, my question is should I have cut back some of the roots. I saw on tv that this promotes new growth. I'm worried

it won't grow anymore.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• richardqld
    17 years ago

It'll grow dont worry,if it is very root bound make sure you water it properly.
    cheers

• pwcoffey
    15 years ago

I have had a Budda for 3 years, the leaves and flowers are great, it has only one main stalk. How do I get the belly to grow instead of the height ?

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

pwcoffey,

Did you say FLOWERS?! Hat to break it to ya, but if its flowering, it has a high possibility of dying. :(

Bamboo dies once it flowers, and rarely stays alive past flowering. It is very rare to see bamboo flower though.

As for getting the bellies and not the height, I'm working on doing the same with my Buddha. I heard that depriving it of water is the best way.

• pwcoffey
    15 years ago

Well it has had flowers every year. yes I let it stay dry
    I have seen several pict of Budda Bellys with the tall orange/red flowers. I will email you a picture

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

I got your picture. That plant looks very nice But I think the buddha's people are talking about here, are Buddha Belly bamboo (Bambusa Ventricosa)

http://bamboogarden.com/Bambusa%20ventricosa.html

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Sounds like you have something other than bamboo, if it is flowers every year.

Also, if your talking about Bambusa Ventricosa, then once a culm emerges, you cannot make it 'belly' if it doesn't grow that way. Stress is best for making it belly. Lack of water and lack of nutrients or being rootbound in a pot will help cause the new shoots to emerge with bellies.

A more reliable bellying bamboo is B. vulgaris 'Wamin' which will belly reliably no matter what the environment it is in. However, it is less cold hardy, but does very well in a pot.

Kt

• hello_c_j_here
    15 years ago

Hi Kt and Kid... how goes it? My buddahs are just beginning to sprout new culms in the outdoor planters... the 2 I kept indoors as my bonsai project kept re leafing all the time...
    need to take new pics. Mine arent flowering ;-)

The clumping Moso sent up 10 more culms all touching the one next to the other... weird I know.

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

CJ, that is an interesting Moso that you have growing there. It will be interesting yo see what it does next year.

Kt

• hello_c_j_here
    14 years ago

Oh and BD... by placing the Buddah into the ground it is quite likely that it will soon revert back to its normal full culm growth habit and not show bellys again. The Planter, water and fert deprivation are what induce the morphed look.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022