Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenraider72

why did bamaboo die?

jenraider72
12 years ago

My husband and his friend found a large area of bamboo- very high he says- growing on the edge of a park in our town. His friend had taken some and then before, and so he and my husband went and brought back many bamboo plants ranging from about 12" to 8+ feet in height. As I have had some success with my own gardening( beginner) he thought I'd know what to do. He didn't listen to my suggestions as per the web anyway, except for being sure to get the root ball as much as possible. He planted them along the fence in a row and watered daily. As they began turning brown, I told him some sites say to plant in shade/ may be sunburn. Eventually he crafted a tarp screen to shield them and of course they continue to decline. I think they're dead now. Brown and whitish as well, still soft but not healthy. His friend said they are easy to grow, so I'm sure we did many things wrong. There is a house in town that has alot of bamboo growing alongside their house. It's quite shady too. Husband says the bamboo was in the shade really except for the tops of course and the ones growing on the perimiter of the woods.

I'd love to be able to tell him what we did wrong and new correct methods for how he can try again as I know he really wanted them to thrive. I love bamboo also. Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and for any input. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21