Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janetch_gw

Please help! what's good for hedge?

janetch
15 years ago

I'm looking for the bamboo or other species for hedge purpose.

I live about 50 miles south from Houston. I bought the house a year ago. Across a ditch, there is a large land behind my backyard. Now somebody will build apartment buildings there. I feel really upset. The apartment buildings will have lots of windows that look right down into our backyard! So, I need something tall and fast growing that will do well at the fence area. The area is in the sun most of the day in the summer.(west direction)

Could you please suggest some species that might work? If you suggest bamboo. I hope to have them with bright green culm, no thicker than 2" in diameter,I don't mind the spreading bamboo, but am a bit nervous about agressively invasive varieties. Please help me. Thanks a lot! I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Comments (5)

• janetch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also hope the bamboo is lower than the electric wires in the sky. I don't know if the bamboo will interfere the electric wire or not. If the bamboo can be eaten, that's great. Thank you!

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

There are several Bambusas that would work well for you. These are all clumping bamboos, so they will NOT run wild and they will NOT spread all over the place.

There are several that range in height from 3 feet tall to over 40 feet in height.

Bambusa multiplex is known as hedge bamboo, and there are several varieties.

If a bamboo gets too tall, you can top it at any height you desire, and the cut culms will remain at that height for the remainder of their lifespan. Topping also makes for denser growth.

How tall of a hedge are you looking for?

Kt

• janetch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks a lot for your answer. I want it about 10 feet tall, so the people who live in the second floor of the apartments won't see my backyard. Also, I hope to have the bamboo beautiful, so my backyard will look appearing to my guests.
    By the way, how long it will take for the bamboo to grow to my desire height? Thanks again for your advice.

• janetch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I googled:
    -------------------------
    Bamboo as a hedge

A hedge is generally considered a compact, neatly trimmed landscape item and bamboo is an excellent choice for a hedge.

Most of the bamboos under 10' will make a good hedge with little or no trimming except for containment and are rated as Good.

Those between 10' and 20' can be trimmed or left untrimmed to produce a good hedge and are rated as Excellent.
    -----------------------
    It seemed I should take the 10-15 feet bamboo. Please help.

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Bambusa multiplex 'Golden Goddess' is listed to grow to 10 feet in height, but mine grows to at least 15 feet here.

It took less than three years to reach that height from a one gallon pot, but it will take more time to get the desired look, with dozens of culms to form a dense hedge.

Bambusa multiplex 'Fernleaf' FERNLEAF BAMBOO is listed to grow to 20 feet, but mine only gets about 15 feet.

There are a few others that might also do well. Research all of the Bambusa multiplexes.

Click Here

Kt

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional