Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboy_gw

Cygon 2E

booboy
18 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has used it for mites. How were your results?

Comments (14)

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

With some pests the cure is worse than the disease. I brought home a 5 gallon bamboo plant recently that I later noticed may have been treated with something like Metasystox, much to my annoyance (there were white granules in the pot, with a mothball odor coming from the back of the truck and - g-r-r-r - my shoes). I may call the nursery and ask, suggest they warn people if they are sending them off with toxic materials.

• JAYK
    18 years ago

There are miticides now available that are much lower in toxicity, and are much better at controlling mites than Cygon.

• peterknop
    18 years ago

JAYK - gosh it would be nice to name some of them if they are out there..... Thanks in advance!

• Thuja
    18 years ago

Oil is a good alternative.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Hoticultural oil (like Stylet, which is 99+% pure). Is a good start. Avid is also quite good, but very pricy and hard to get hold of. It appears to have negligible toxicity concerns for humans, but can hurt your bee population. The principal ingredient is abamectin, which interferes with the mite reproductive cycle.

• raphaella_2008
    15 years ago

I ahve used Home & Garden Cygon 2E on my vegetables, does anyone knows ; how long the systemic pesticide stays in the plant? and is it safe to consume after the 14 days that the label indicate for harveting veggies?

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

All pesticides are required to carry information like this on the detailed label. You can also call the manufacturer's consumer line, or call the Environmental Protection Agency's Regional Office for your state and ask to speak with a toxicologist. My general rule, however, is that if you have to worry about residual toxicity on consumables you shouldn't be using such products (I'm not lecturing, just sharing my personal view after many years working for EPA).

• hollenback
    15 years ago

Cygon has been outlawed in the US for a number of years. When I used it's active ingredient commercially we had to mark the places where it was applied with keep out signs for two weeks so if you can not touch the plant for 14 days I doubt to you can eat it.

I hope you followed the instructions for application and covered your body including rubber gloves and a respirator.

Bill

• saltcedar
    15 years ago

Apparently delisted, but still available if you want it.
    I agree with previous poster that it's too toxic for
    anything edible and should be for ornamentals only.

HTH
    Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Cygon 2-E

• Eva Berlin
    5 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy Cygon (or dimethoate, which might have replaced Cygon), in the Elmira, NY area?

• Pam
    4 years ago

Horticultural oil should really only be used in the fall and winter to kill eggs on and under the bark. If used in the summer, you must pay close attention or you will have a phytotoxicity issue where you will wish you had left it alone. It’s not a matter of if, just when the temp will be too high or the sun too full or too high and burn the plant up. I will not use an oil in the summer including neem and I’m not convinced neem really works without harm. India sure has figured out a way to get us to take it off their hands though. Sorry I really don’t like neem and especially the oil. But each to their own. On someone who mentioned using Cygon on vegetable — there are only specific vegetables and ornamentals it’s should be used on. Look for the label and it is clearly labeled not for residential use ie untrained people who don’t read and follow directions to the label. If you use it and get sick, get cancer etc don’t run to your attorney - it’s on you. I will use it if and only if I can protect all skin, eyes, mouth, nose and I read the directions several times. It isn’t anything to play with but it works well. Our issues with chemicals are not the folks who make them, nor the professionals who have been trained to handle — it’s the home owners and amateurs who think all chemicals work the same, pour some in a bucket, stir it up (don’t pay attention to pH, accurate measurements, time of day, temp, nothing) don’t put any PPE on,just spray it on everything in sight. What does the mfg know, he’s just cya. That’s why we have issues from bad wells to fish kills and dead pets and affected children etc. you have to follow directions.

Here is the label for Cygon as to what to use it on and only these, exact measurements,etc. https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/000016-00160-19970102.pdf

• Pam
    4 years ago
Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus