Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xill

bamboo selection advice

xill
12 years ago

hi everyone, i'm hoping somebody here can help me a bit. i've never owned or grown bamboo, but have always loved the look of it. i now have a large patio and would like to add a container or two for some bamboo. Can someone give me some pointers on which types will grow best for me? my patio is south-facing and i have two corners available for large containers. the east corner would get a few hours of morning sun in the summer and thats it (more sun during the winter) and the west corner would of course get the hot summer afternoon sun (which will be shaded by trees in the next few years). i'm in USDA 9, sunset 13, inland southern california (very similar to Palm Springs, and Phoenix but lower elevation). i like all bamboo but would prefer a variety with interesting culms such as black, red, buddah belly, etc. My patio is covered and the ceiling is 9ft if that makes a difference. i've heard most all bamboo culms can be trimmed to desired height. also what would be a good size container? does it need to be of a certain material? i've heard some bamboos can break their containers if they get too crowded. and how sensitive are bamboo roots if the containers are exposed to direct summer sun of 110F? this kills most plants, but maybe bamboo are different? sorry for all of the questions, but my local nurseries are completely clueless about bamboo. i'll have to order my plants online if i want them.

Comments (2)

Sponsored