Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo cut too short. How long will it take to grow back.

Posted by kensingtongardener CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 3:21

Despite my request to not touch my bamboo, the gardener clipped my Alphonse Karr bamboo (regular height 15 feet) to about 6 feet tall. The planting occupies about 10 by 6 feet. How long do you think it will take for the new culms to fill in to the taller height? Should I cut the now shortened culms down to the ground? If so, how long will it take them to fill in.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo cut too short. How long will it take to grow back.

The cut culms will never "grow" higher any more. You need to wait for the new shoots to come

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 24, 06 at 11:20

1. Leave the shortened culms alone. Even though they won't grow, their leaves will provide energy to the plant to help grow new culms.

2. If you are lucky, the new culms will fill in within a year.

3. Fire the gardener.

o

fire the gardener should be #1 hehehe

o

yeah right, get the priorities right!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here