Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture showing some bamboo varieties

Posted by dragonfly_wings Z8 - Central TX. (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 3:41

I found this picture helpful in learning some of the bamboo varieties available. Maybe this has already been posted in this forum?

Bamboo varieties
Variation in bamboo is mainly in the culms, as shown by this selection from Little Acre Farm in Howell Township. From left -
Phyllostachys aureosulcata
Phyllostachys glauca
Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis, golden crookstem
Phyllostachys nigra, black bamboo
Phyllostachys nuda
Phyllostachys aureosulcata spectabilis
Phyllostachys dulcis, sweetshoot bamboo
Pseudosasa japonica 'Tsutsumiana', green onion bamboo
Phyllostachys glauca yunzhu.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Picture Source and More Bamboo Info

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture showing some bamboo varieties

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 11:21

If you want an extensive photo reference for a large variety of bamboo, browse the photo library at BambooWeb...

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb Photos

o

kudzu,
Thanks for that link. It will come in handy.

However, for someone like myself who is new to bamboo varieties, it's helpful to see the culms side by side like in the above picture.
It's kind of like learning the basic ABC's for quick identification. This has its limitations as I'm sure some varieties are similar looking and not so easily distinguished by just looking at the culms. But it's a starting place.

o

the
Phyllostachys glauca

when i looked up pictures i had a hard time finding ones with a similar blue. im looking into some unique bamboo for next season and prepping for it, blue / black / yellow are what im going for. but anyhow does the glauca turn after a few years like the black bamboos?

o

Do you mean Phy. glauca 'Yunzhu'? It gets brown spots on it, but it won't turn black like nigra.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here