Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is there any guessing what species this free craigslist bamboo is

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 7:20

In the free section of the Charlotte, NC craigslist there's some bamboo with a couple pictures, posted June 8. The description says: "Already cut down and ready to be hauled away. This bamboo ranges from 4 feet long to as long as 14-16' feet. Ranging in diameter from 1/4"-1/2" some maybe even bigger. But all of it is under an inch in diameter. This stuff is strong and good for countless projects..." My understanding is that most bamboo in North Carolina is probably in the Phyllostachys genus, but I'm wondering if this could be something else. Is there any identifying, narrowing down, or ruling out that can be done based just on what's in the ad?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/zip/4503345096.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is there any guessing what species this free craigslist bambo

That's likely not a Phyllostachys. It looks like Pseudosasa japonica (Arrow bamboo) to me. What do you want to do with it? What this guy is offering is only useful as material for projects. It's dead and you won't be growing more from it.

o

I was hoping maybe Pseudosasa japonica. That's a species I'd like to add. I was hoping there'd be a piece of root somewhere I could transplant. Is there any hope in that?

o

If you get a piece with a rhizome (root) attached it's possible that it will grow, but only if it is fresh and hasn't dried out. To grow from rhizome it's best to have a large, fresh piece, or better yet, a root ball. And if you succeed in growing from rhizome, it will take a number of years for it to size up. Best to have a whole division.

o

Thanks, Kudz.
When you say a "whole division," do you just mean including a culm?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here