Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeremy88_gw

top ten favorite bamboos

jeremy88
15 years ago

I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to bamboo. I'm sure a similar post has been made, so please forgive any repetitiveness. I'd love to read a list of everyone's top ten favorite bamboos. In other words: if you could only grow ten bamboos, which ten would you grow? Thanks, -jeremy

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

High mountain clumpers like Fargesia spp. Moso is also pretty hardy to ignore, as are some of the spectacular variegated forms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Selector Search Results List

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

"Georgia Recommended Clumping Bamboo

These are just a few varietal recommendations. There are many more varieties from which to choose. Unless noted, the following bamboo do not require full sun.

Bambusa dolichomerithalla - 'Green stripestem'
    Bambusa multiplex - Hedge bamboo
    Bambusa multiplex cv 'Alphonse Karr'
    Bambusa multiplex cv 'Fernleaf'
    Bambusa multiplex cv 'Fernleaf stripestem'
    Bambusa multiplex cv 'Golden Goddess'
    Bambusa multiplex ssp 'Riviereorum' - Chinese Goddess
    Bambusa multiplex cv 'Silverstripe'
    Bambusa multiplex cv 'Tiny Fern'
    Bambusa multiplex cv 'Willowy'

Georgia Recommended Running Bamboo

These are just a few varietal recommendations. There are many more varieties from which to choose. Most of these bamboo will take full sun but look best with some shade.

Chimonobambusa tumidissinoda - prefers 60% shade
    Phyllostachys aurea holochrysa - 'Golden Golden'
    Phyllostachys bambusoides - 'Giant Japanese Timber Bamboo,' Madake
    Phyllostachys nigra - Black Bamboo
    Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon'
    Phyllostachys rubromarginata - Red Margin Bamboo
    Phyllostachys vivax - 'Vivers Bamboo'
    Pseudosasa japonica - 'Arrow Bamboo'
    Sasa veitchii 'Kuma-Zasa' (prefers 60% shade)
    Sinobambusa tootsik albostriata (full sun or 60% shade)"

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Bamboo in Georgia

• kentuck_8b
    15 years ago

Only 10?? A list of the top 100 would be easier, and even then they would have to be in random order.

Kt

• echolane
    15 years ago

I'm growing clumping bamboos (drepanostachynum khasianum, d. sengteeanum, borinda fungosa, himalacalamus damarapa, h. asper, h. faconeri 'Teague's Blue', fargesia robusta, and Fargesia dracocephala 'White Dragon'). By FAR, my favorite is Drepanostachynum sengteeanum. Incredibly delicate and graceful and a nice tight clump that I hope won't get out of hand too quickly. After that, probably Borinda fungosa and Fargesia robusta are in a tie for second place. They are so very different, it's hard to rank one over the other.

• lobo012847
    9 years ago

I am searching for a bambo that likes damp ground (possibly wet feet) and is no taller than 25 feet. A striped cane would be awesome.
    Any suggestions?

thanks

• seagal007
    9 years ago

I don't think any of them will do well with truly wet feet. Damp ground is not a problem for the subtropical clumpers. I live on low lying property and have built mounds to plant my boo on. You might like Alphonse Karr. Its a tight clumper with a striped cane and grows to 25 feet.

• Spacecity
    9 years ago

Which is a fast growing bamboo I could lp any for privacy in my backyard

• Spacecity
    9 years ago

Which is a fast growing bamboo I could lp any for privacy in my backyard

• Spacecity
    9 years ago

Name:Terry,
    Tahera_anwar@yahoo.com

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

For growing fast tall plants I think more important to start with a full grown plant.

Smaller the plant the smaller the new shoots, fewer new shoots. Each year there will be more total new shoots and the shoots will be taller until the plant becomes mature which can take 5, 10, 15 years.

Start with full grown shoots you could get full height shoots right away, and more shoots. So faster privacy. Much more expensive, heavier. 30 gal containers, boxed. Some sellers will even dig part of a mature grove up, put it on their trucks, and do the install. You can get good privacy instantly for enough money, or in a year or two spending a little less (buying fewer plants).

Fast growth can have much more to do with the size of the plant purchased than the kind. Most kinds get large enough when mature for privacy. A few kinds are slower. And of course matching the kind to your climate is important. But after that, buying bigger matters.

Bamboo being a fast grower is a little confusing. Plants like Giant Reed Arundo donax is more what many people would consider "fast grower". Goes to almost full mature height in a few months, new shoots every few weeks.

Sponsored
Over 15 Years of Professional Design Experience in Fredericksburg