Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
top ten favorite bamboos

Posted by jeremy88 NE Georgia (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 8:59

I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to bamboo. I'm sure a similar post has been made, so please forgive any repetitiveness. I'd love to read a list of everyone's top ten favorite bamboos. In other words: if you could only grow ten bamboos, which ten would you grow? Thanks, -jeremy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: top ten favorite bamboos

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 21:13

High mountain clumpers like Fargesia spp. Moso is also pretty hardy to ignore, as are some of the spectacular variegated forms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Selector Search Results List

o
List From Georgia Extension

"Georgia Recommended Clumping Bamboo

These are just a few varietal recommendations. There are many more varieties from which to choose. Unless noted, the following bamboo do not require full sun.

Bambusa dolichomerithalla - 'Green stripestem'
Bambusa multiplex - Hedge bamboo
Bambusa multiplex cv 'Alphonse Karr'
Bambusa multiplex cv 'Fernleaf'
Bambusa multiplex cv 'Fernleaf stripestem'
Bambusa multiplex cv 'Golden Goddess'
Bambusa multiplex ssp 'Riviereorum' - Chinese Goddess
Bambusa multiplex cv 'Silverstripe'
Bambusa multiplex cv 'Tiny Fern'
Bambusa multiplex cv 'Willowy'

Georgia Recommended Running Bamboo

These are just a few varietal recommendations. There are many more varieties from which to choose. Most of these bamboo will take full sun but look best with some shade.

Chimonobambusa tumidissinoda - prefers 60% shade
Phyllostachys aurea holochrysa - 'Golden Golden'
Phyllostachys bambusoides - 'Giant Japanese Timber Bamboo,' Madake
Phyllostachys nigra - Black Bamboo
Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon'
Phyllostachys rubromarginata - Red Margin Bamboo
Phyllostachys vivax - 'Vivers Bamboo'
Pseudosasa japonica - 'Arrow Bamboo'
Sasa veitchii 'Kuma-Zasa' (prefers 60% shade)
Sinobambusa tootsik albostriata (full sun or 60% shade)"

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Bamboo in Georgia

o

Only 10?? A list of the top 100 would be easier, and even then they would have to be in random order.

Kt

o

I'm growing clumping bamboos (drepanostachynum khasianum, d. sengteeanum, borinda fungosa, himalacalamus damarapa, h. asper, h. faconeri 'Teague's Blue', fargesia robusta, and Fargesia dracocephala 'White Dragon'). By FAR, my favorite is Drepanostachynum sengteeanum. Incredibly delicate and graceful and a nice tight clump that I hope won't get out of hand too quickly. After that, probably Borinda fungosa and Fargesia robusta are in a tie for second place. They are so very different, it's hard to rank one over the other.

o

I am searching for a bambo that likes damp ground (possibly wet feet) and is no taller than 25 feet. A striped cane would be awesome.
Any suggestions?

thanks

o

I don't think any of them will do well with truly wet feet. Damp ground is not a problem for the subtropical clumpers. I live on low lying property and have built mounds to plant my boo on. You might like Alphonse Karr. Its a tight clumper with a striped cane and grows to 25 feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here