Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion plants for bamboo

Posted by ishareflowers 5 MA. (oemech4@aol.com) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 10:10

I have a unidentified bamboo that's approx. 2 1/2 feet tall., could someone please tell me what's a good companion plant for these. I live in zone 4/5. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion plants for bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 11:12

There are some bamboo which are that height as mature plants, but I'm curious what bamboo that would be in your Zone. Are you absolutely sure it's bamboo? Could you post a picture or describe it better? In particular, do the culms/stalks die back in the winter, or does it simply defoliate? How old is this planting?

o

I looked it up and believe it to be a fargesia murielae. I'm looking for companion plants. Any suggestions?

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 14:31

F. murielae is a nice one. Bamboo coexist with almost anything. I have quite a few bamboo -- albeit in a more temperate climate, Zone 8 -- and I have been successful with ferns, various groundcovers, cotoneaster, and smaller flowers like marigolds, California poppies, and smaller-size daylilies and irises. Some of those may be too big in scale for your bamboo now, but murielae is quite hardy and should size up to a respectable height in coming years.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 16:40

Plants with contrasting large leaves. Otherwise, frequent companions for Fargesias in the wild are spruces and rhododendrons.

o

My neighbor in the back of my house has an excessive growth of bamboo used as a wall and/or property divider. The bamboo is nice but I would like to know how do you manage the roots for growing other plants? The roots have extended quite a distance and within this distance, I would personally like to include various plants. I have previously tried gardening but the bamboo roots kills the plants. What could I do to prevent the bamboo roots in killing my plants?

o

Lilies might be a pretty good companion since they offer a big contrast come in all sizes from 1ft up to 8ft, and bloom in all sorts of colors. I have a collection up to 8 species of different forms.

They area easily propagated, but don't really spread if left alone and are very cold hardy.

Here is a link that might be useful: my lilies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here