Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of black bamboo is this..

Posted by hervey 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 10 at 10:17

I have some black bamboo growing in a large patio container. I'm not sure what kind it is, its got a new growth popping up now and its a beautiful red color. Any ideas what type of black bamboo this is? I've got photos to share but i'm not sure how to upload a photo on this site.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of black bamboo is this..

You can upload a photo in the gallery from your computer, or here using Photobucket or similar online photo storage site.

Are some of the culms already black?

Kt

o

No its still coming up and is a beautiful red color.
Here is the photo of it. I was told it was a bambusa lako but the ones i've seen online don't come up red like mine.

Photobucket

o

It does not look like my lako either.

Another possibility is Gigantochloa atroviolacea aka TROPICAL BLACK. However I don't recall the new shoots being red either.

Mine will shoot in a month or so and I'll let you know.

Kt

o

I know for sure it's not a Gigantochloa atroviolacea. It will be intersting to find out what it acutally is :-)

o

How do you know that it's not G. atroviolacea?

The only newly emerging culm that I know of with that reddish colour is Guadua velutina, but it is not a black bamboo.

Interesting...

How large are the leaves?

Kt

o

I'm 99% sure its not Gigantochloa atroviolacea. The photos i've seen online don't look anything like my bamboo.
I'll upload another image of the leaves with measurements. This is very intersting :-)

o

Here is a photo of the leaves. They measure

Photobucket

o

The leaves look more like Lako than G atro.

Interesting though,...the culms in your first pic look more like G. atro than my B. lako.

Kt

o

I can't find any photos online of a lako with red new growth. I think i might have a special breed :-)

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 14:00

hervey-
That's a beautiful photo. I suggest you post this on the Bamboo Identification forum at www.bambooweb.info (you'll need to register, but it's free). They have a lot of members who are knowledgeable about more exotic bamboo, such as yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo ID

o

Thanks kudzu9, i'll sign up and post some pics now. I'm very interested in finding out what it is now that i've stumped the people here :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here