Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevingalaxy

help!

kevingalaxy
10 years ago

I have two questions i hope someone can help me with!

1. Can anyone ID this bamboo? Its spreading everywhere in my yard and the neighbors.

2. Does anyone know a good way i can pack this up to ship ? I know a few people who actually want some but im not sure if i can just take the root with a shoot, put it in a zip lock with some damp soil and just post it?

Much appreciated!!

I put some pictures here: http://s473.photobucket.com/user/flnycus/library/?sort=3&page=1

Comments (9)

• jonjfarr
    10 years ago

I'm sure Stevelau, kudzu, or kentuck would know this one. My guess is its p. nigra bory, or p nigra. Only a guess based on black canes. Some are spotty so, I was thinking it might be bory. Just cut out a root and cut off the cane. Keep it moist. Even a few minutes of dry can hurt or kill a bamboo. I received roots in the mail from the usda. They shipped the roots in peet moss.

• kevingalaxy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you. may I ask was the peet moss in a sealed ziplock or something?

• jonjfarr
    10 years ago

You're welcome. Yes, the peet moss was moistened and wrapped around each root and wrapped in plastic wrap then put into a zip lock. It may have had an air hole in it though. As long as their kept moist, they'll be fine. Check out bamboo root division on youtube and you can see the easiest and fastest way to get the roots out. It only takes a couple of minutes to cut out a root and cut off the cane. Just cut one that still has it's sheaths, but has leaf growth. Then remove all but the "boot". It should look like a small boot when you ship it.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

The main problem with propagation from a piece of rhizome (root) is that -- if the method is successful -- it will take years for the plant to size up: in my experience, about 5 years before the plant is head high. That's why people who don't want to wait take a good sized rootball with one or more culms attached. And when I say "good sized" I mean approximately basketball size.

• jonjfarr
    10 years ago

I agree with kudzu on root mass size proportionate to growth, but it's the most economical method of shipment that I can think of. All 21 roots that the usda sent me shot up multiple times to a max height of 3 feet. Not bad since I got them in february. They got root bound in three months in one gallon pots and had to be repotted in three gallon pots. I think with proper watering and fertilizing, you can beat the five year mark Kudzu proposed. Maybe not, but it's still fun to watch them grow.

• jonjfarr
    10 years ago

I agree with kudzu on root mass size proportionate to growth, but it's the most economical method of shipment that I can think of. All 21 roots that the usda sent me shot up multiple times to a max height of 3 feet. Not bad since I got them in february. They got root bound in three months in one gallon pots and had to be repotted in three gallon pots. I think with proper watering and fertilizing, you can beat the five year mark Kudzu proposed. Maybe not, but it's still fun to watch them grow.

• jonjfarr
    10 years ago

Here is a multiplex I received from the USDA in February, that was only a little root and 3 inches of cane. It's already at three feet. If I get a second shooting this year they could easily hit five feet. In five years, it will be a clump 10+ feet tall.

• kevingalaxy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe this annoying bamboo could be a money spinner lol.

• kevlar68
    10 years ago

Probably the most important thing you need to know is that you need to get it (p. nigra) under control...are you not the original owner/planter? Looks like someone tried a trench barrier and it has fully escaped. All those new shoots where you don't want the bamboo need to be fully excavated with the rhizome...doing now while they are small and not so complex will be much easier than waiting; then clean your trench and inspect periodically for escapees and prune there.

Have fun!

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz